Why God, Why?
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Join date : 2009-06-03
Age : 35
Location : TRILOBITE!
|Subject: Dominion Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:29 pm|| |
So I watched the first episode of Dominion, a show on SyFy about a post-apocalyptic future where God fucked off and the angels blamed the humans and declared war on them led by Gabriel, but the archangel Michael sided with the humans and helped fight Gabriel off. I watched it mostly because Anthony Head is in it (as a senator with a very convincing American accent). I don't think I'll be watching it again.
Basically Gabriel's angels possessed humans during the war because they lacked bodies of their own, and these possessed humans are called 8 balls for reasons that are unexplained. Michael came to the humans' aid and Gabriel was defeated. In the process Michael saved a baby which would grow up to be the humans' saviour. Fast-forward twenty or thirty years to the city of Vega (which is what they're calling Las Vegas for reasons) and to our all-American Wonderbread protagonist G.I. Alex, who keeps sneaking out of the gated city and is in love with General Riesin's daughter Claire. General Riesin and Senator Anthony Head run the city as a benevolent dictatorship with Michael and some councilwoman who I don't think even gets a name and who's basically there to arrange orgies for Michael. Anyway, scary new angels attack the city, Alex turns out to be the baby Michael saved, a visiting group of women from another city-state accidentally brought an evil angel along with them, and Senator Anthony Head's son William secretly worships Gabriel.
Here's why I won't be watching again:
1) Writers of futuristic everything everywhere: stop with all the Ancient Roman imagery. Just stop. ROME FELL. I don't care if it's a deliberate choice to showcase the arrogance of a corrupt government. There are other ancient civilisations. Crack a history book.
2) While we're at it, writers of futuristic everything everywhere, the apocalypse is not an excuse to return to antiquated gender roles. Nearly every female character in the first episode is fucking a dude, or in Claire's case, only useful if she's married off to a dude (to join "two houses"). The exceptions are Bixby, a doe-eyed young urchin that Alex looks after, and a female soldier who got a handful of lines and a shower scene.
3) The saviour is a white dude. Of course. You know what would've been interesting? If everyone assumed the saviour was a boy and/or white, and instead the saviour was a girl, and/or black/Latino/Asian. And the imagery of the saviour as a white boy was deliberate propaganda to conceal the saviour from Gabriel. You know, since Michael's supposed to have hidden the saviour at birth and all.
4) Incidentally, the Chosen One who doesn't want the power? BUFFY ALREADY DID IT. Ask Anthony Head, he should know.
5) Two of the ruling families of Vega are known as "House Riesen" and "House Whele". I'm sorry, I didn't realise this was fucking Game of Thrones. This is Las Vegas 20ish years in the future. NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT.
6) Alex's long lost father Jeep brings news that Gabriel is massing an army right as Vega's about to celebrate its Jubilee. Guess what happens.
That's right, Senator Anthony Head insists on having his stupid jubilee party because morale and Gabriel attacks right in the middle of it. WHAT A TWIST
7) Please tell me they didn't dress the visiting diplomats (who accidentally harbour an evil angel in their midst) in what looks an awful lot like traditional Muslim clothing. Please tell me that's just me putting my stupid Western White Knight Ally feet in my mouth.
So yeah. Nice to see Anthony Head on TV again, especially in something where he's dressed up all nice and doesn't look ancient and is a little bit of a bad guy. Dominion itself? BLEEHHH
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Join date : 2009-06-12
Location : Dining car on the Train of Time, DenLiner
|Subject: Re: Dominion Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:40 pm|| |
By the sound of it, I can afford to give it a pass. SciFi only had a few (By few, I mean two) shows I enjoyed: Stan Lee's Who Wants to be a Superhero and Scare Tactics. The former was good, campy, reality cheese that was so bad it was good enough to get two seasons. The latter was like Punk'd but without Ashton Kutcher and more special effects. It was glorious.
Other than that, the only things I'd watch on SyFy would be Friday Night Smackdown.
Behind Blue Eyes
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 34
Location : The Forest
|Subject: Re: Dominion Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:23 pm|| |
Shitty film gets shitty tv series based on it. Can't say I'm totally shocked.
Join date : 2011-01-22
|Subject: Re: Dominion Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:01 pm|| |
All I watch on Syfy is Face Off and Defiance. I see no reason why to alter this pattern. Seriously, the chosen one trope is kind of played out and I say that as a Harry Potter fan. But then again, the shitty film this series is based off of didn't make a whole lot of sense either. Isn't the whole point of the shitty film is that God has had it up to here with humanity and decides to send his angels to wipe out humanity? Even though given that he's all-powerful, if God wanted to wipe out humanity, couldn't he just think us out of existence? I mean, sure all these angel battles are cool-looking but you think the almighty creator of the universe would prefer efficiency.
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 34
|Subject: Re: Dominion Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:18 pm|| |
I also tried watching this thing, supposedly based on the film Legion.
I dubbed the 'savior of humanity' Squinty. Really all I remember about it.
Join date : 2015-01-17
|Subject: Re: Dominion Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:13 am|| |
I might be a little bit late for that but I still want to state my opinion about that mess.
- Cyberwulf wrote:
- 2) While we're at it, writers of futuristic everything everywhere, the apocalypse is not an excuse to return to antiquated gender roles. Nearly every female character in the first episode is fucking a dude, or in Claire's case, only useful if she's married off to a dude (to join "two houses"). The exceptions are Bixby, a doe-eyed young urchin that Alex looks after, and a female soldier who got a handful of lines and a shower scene.
Scratch that, I watched the whole season and
Apparently archangels are sex crazy lunatics. They didn't introduce Raphael so far but the other three are just boinking around most of the time. May be the reason why their plans suck so much. 25 years and that shit is everything they came up with so far. So much about being are superior existence.
I think that the series is even worse than the movie. The movie didn't take itself so serious but the series really tries to be something and just fails tremendous. The dialogues in the movie where cheesy but they the actors delivered them. The actors are one of the biggest differences. The movie had some good actors, otherwise it could have been worse. I enjoyed Paul Bettany, Kevin Durand, Charles S. Dutton and Adrianne Palicki, so far I didn't find anyone I really enjoyed in the series. In my opinion the main actors lack any kind of charisma. I looked forward to Michael and really tried to like Tom Wisdom's version, but I just can't care about him. And this big emotional cliffhanger at the point.. I just didn't care how he feels or what's going to happen to him. It just made me shrug. Same goes for Alex and the other Archangels.
Everything I hoped so far was that at least on person could come up with a decent plan. But they're just over the place.
One of the only redeeming features is Anthony Head. He is a likable villain. One of the few things I enjoyed seeing on screen.
I'm going to check on the second season as well. Maybe it was just a messy first season and they come up with something better later. But so far I don't really have my hopes high.
|Subject: Re: Dominion || |