View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Penguin wrote:

Teenagers/unemployed 20somethings tend to be entitled dickbags, and disproportionately represented on the Internet. But as a whole? I don't think it's more than a vocal minority that has far too much free time.

Exactly. I'm fully aware that people like this (i.e. entitled dickbags) exist, having seen enough of them banging their fists on various forums. These are the people who accuse the developers of being traitors and selling out if a game isn't to their liking. But they are just a vocal minority, and that minority seems to shout the loudest on the internet. Sadly, shouting louder than everybody else has always been the best way to make oneself heard, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:40 am

Quote :
That's the thing, though. At least in my case, I usually see reviewers being lazy. Instead of criticizing a game on its merits, if they don't like it because they're bored of it, they can't simply say it's played out. They have to reach for some sort of higher reason for it to be bad.
Honestly I was not even think of game reviewers here so much as criticism and analysis in general by people who focus on those sorts of things. I mean, game reviewers can talk about this stuff as well but I agree that they tend to be lazy about it. Well thought-out analysis is not what gets them clicks, after all. That and if they want to include that sort of thing in a standard review I do not think they really have the time. I mean, game review is not like movie reviewing, you have to put in a lot of play hours to get a good feel for the game and it is easy to miss huge swaths of it. I think that is one of the primary reason game reviews are so worthless. Reviews done well after release by people who have played the games thoroughly will tell you a lot more.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Cunovendus wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
It shows that the most important thing to the person saying it is to point out what a good person they are, so therefore they don't have to think about the bad behaviour of others in their group.

I don't think it's because of not having to think about bad behaviour, but more to publicly distance themselves from it. It's for the same reason that Muslims all over the UK are publicly stating that ISIS do not speak for all Muslims. Those of us who have a brain might know that not all *insert demographic* are like this, but the problem is that not everybody does, and people are too quick to lump everybody in with a popular stereotype.
Nnnnnot quite.

Usually when the British Muslim community release a statement condemning Islamic terrorist groups, it's along the lines of "We condemn the atrocities committed by ISIS. ISIS does not represent us or the worldwide Muslim community as a whole." The reprehensible, fucked-up shit that ISIS does is at the centre of the statement.

"NOT ALL [X]" is a different thing. This is when Person A says "WTF gamergaters are driving women out of their own houses with rape and death threats", and the first thing Person B says in response is "Excuse me, not all gamergaters are like that!" Now the fact that women have had to leave their homes because of credible (because their addresses have been posted online) rape and death threats linked to Gamergate has been pushed to one side. Now the central issue is that Person B feels offended and wants to scold Person A for not adding a disclaimer to hir statement. The terrible thing that Person A is commenting on isn't even mentioned by Person B.

People who say "NOT ALL [X]" also tend to be members of a majority/more privileged group, and they usually tend to respond that way to statements made by members of a minority/less privileged group.
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:08 pm

I know this is massively belated, but I apologize for mouthing off at Doobie. It's just, I'm a gamer. I don't want to get pissed on for playing games.

Gamergate shit clogs up every site it gets on. This one too, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Well, YOU seem like an honest potential reviewer and I'm sure you'll have no problem telling Mikey, in detail, what is good and bad about it.  For free.

Even though Mikey keeps calling you "Penny."

Okay, having beaten it and started True Vault Hunter Mode:

1.) Yes, it's "just more Borderlands," but
2.) It's more fun than that implies.

The vehicles handle more shittily than ever before, which is usually hilarious, but also often frustrating. Butt-slamming never goes out of style. Claptrap MUST be played with teammates, because his Action Skill basically depends on buffing or inflicting misery on teammates. There's nothing better than activating FUNzerking and hearing your teammate yell "OH GOD WHY!?" because they can't stop shooting either. Also Pirate Ship Claptrap is probably the best action skill in the history of ever.

Nisha's interesting, in the "evil sadomasochist" kinda way.

Athena's the "straight man" but still has some good lines.

Wilhelm is major boring shit.

The Jack Double is pretty entertaining, as he's also kind of a wimp.

The story's entertaining, if awfully short for a Borderlands game. The world is smaller, yet fast-travel stations are few and far between, which can be very frustrating.

But really, the only thing I didn't like about the game was storywise re: Lilith.
Spoiler:

Best of all, the story is told as a flashback, so every once in awhile you get commentary from other characters that's usually pretty funny, like in Assault on Dragon's Keep in BL2.

Soooo yeah. All in all, would recommend. Goes best with booze and friends, if only via the VoiP client of your choosing.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 pm

So Jack Thompson (the guy who wanted to ban videogames) appeared in a teaser clip for "The Sarkeesian Effect", a "documentary" produced by two guys who can barely operate a camera and who want thousands of dollars a month to keep working on it so they can prove to everyone that Anita Sarkeesian is a scammer.

And since he disagreed with Sarkeesian and mentioned the Holy First Amendment, Gamergate has adopted him as their new champion.

It's kinda sad how Gamergaters can't see that they're being played by opportunistic right-wingers who are trying to make themselves relevant again.
Back to top Go down
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Are you motherfucking serious?

I know FDR aligned himself with Stalin despite knowing what a shitstain he was, but at least they shared a common enemy in the motherfucking Nazis and the fate of the world was at stake.

What's GamerGate's excuse? That they both realized how much they hate women?!
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
And since he disagreed with Sarkeesian and mentioned the Holy First Amendment, Gamergate has adopted him as their new champion.
...that's a bit of a stretch. That link's basically one guy taking a bunch of tweets saying things along the lines of "a blind squirrel actually found a nut" and then adding a bunch of his own to each of them saying "#GamerGate supports Jack Thompson" over and over again.
Mouse wrote:
I know FDR aligned himself with Stalin despite knowing what a shitstain he was, but at least they shared a common enemy in the motherfucking Nazis and the fate of the world was at stake.

FDR knew full well who he was dealing with. Between the internment camps and selling Poland out to Stalin, he was a piece of work himself.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:28 pm

rae wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Fuck "NOT ALL GAMERS". One bad apple spoils the bunch, and they all belong on the compost heap.

Aren't you a gamer? I am.

Don't you want both the gaming industry to realize that there are a hell of a lot of gamers who are not straight, white, cis males?

Because this "all gamers" shit basically says I don't exist, and that you don't exist. So uh... what the actual fuck?

I'm a black male gamer who happens to enjoy playing as female protagonists and occoasionally sees female characters outnumber male characters, I apparently don't exist according to this logic. Colbert (also, if I'm going to be playing skyrim and staring at half naked people all day, I might as well mod in sheer comedy.
Back to top Go down
Eeveegou
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:25 pm

So are gamers considered a race now? Can I mark that on my FAFSA form?
Back to top Go down
http://eeveegou.deviantart.com
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Now they're calling Wil Wheaton a racist misogynist because they don't actually know what those words mean.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:17 am

Racist? Probably not. A jackass? Certainly. A sexist? Maybe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, this whole "gamergate" thing   

Back to top Go down

So, this whole "gamergate" thing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3