Share | 

Man of Steel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Man of Steel   Sat May 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Okay, I admit, I had high hopes for this one. Maybe I shouldn't, given Zack Snyder's record, but I did. But this movie thoroughly dashed my hopes. I won't mention Sociopathic! Pa Kent or the Break-Neck ending* because so many other people have already done so, but here I will lay out my grievances against this film.

First of all, when I can't enjoy the primary act of watching your movie, something's wrong. The Hans Zimmer score made me feel like someone put a metal bucket on my head and was beating me senseless. Bah! Give me the soaring John Williams score any day. Also, part of me wants to start a fundraiser to buy Zack Snyder a tripod to support his camera, because the shaky cam is terrible in this film. Apparently Zack Snyder also just recently discovered the zoom function on his camera because he kept using it at random during the never ending battle scenes.

But my primary objection to this movie is how grim it is. Grim works for Batman because that's who he is, but Superman is his opposite. Superman is a symbol of hope; Superman, despite being an alien, represents the best of us. Now I'm not saying Superman has to be all sweetness and light; he has a dark side like every hero. The DCAU managed to do great things with his character by having him struggle to do the right thing and not always succeeding. The movie pays lip service to this whole Superman being a symbol of hope thing, but really Superman doesn't do much to establish said reputation, unless you call watching him pound the shit out of a guy with a three stooges** haircut hopeful. How hopeful are the people of Earth supposed to feel after watching a godlike superhero kill another?

Now I'm not going to say the Christopher Reeves movies were perfect. There's a reason everyone wants to forget III and IV, including the people who were in it, but it did capture the spirit of the character. Oh and the Reeves films managed to do more realistic flying scenes than Man of Steel and they were just using wires and a screen.

*I didn't really like the Break-Neck ending, but in spite of everything, I do kind of see why they went with it. It wasn't like there was anything Superman could do to depower Zod or imprison him. The fact he got emotional over killing Zod but not the millions who died when Metropolis was vaporized....yeah gotta object to that.

**Seriously people, Superman has a wide rogues' gallery. Can we use villains besides Zod and Lex Luthor? A Darkseid movie, now that we have the effects to really do it the way it should be done would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel   Tue May 27, 2014 7:54 pm

It's just a middling film that struggles to get what's awesome about Superman and fails. It has action scenes and familiar characters, but the soul just isn't there.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel   Wed May 28, 2014 1:22 am

This is fun.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel   Wed May 28, 2014 8:52 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
This is fun.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel   Wed May 28, 2014 9:06 pm

^
They're all funny, even the ones of movies I like. Especially when they're picking out irrelevant shit to be cheeky ("DC Comics).

"Batman&Robin" is the best one. Every sin in "an awful lot of minutes or less."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel   

Back to top Go down

Man of Steel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1