Share | 

The Hobbit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeeLee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: The Hobbit   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Has anyone else seen it yet? I proclaim it awesome. Riddles in the dark was done perfectly, the Dwarves (for the most part) were given a chance to showcase their different personalities, and the Goblin King was great- along with his little scribe minion.

I saw it in the 48 fps/3D however, and I hated the format. Everything seemed hyper sped up and some scenes had a history channel reenactment feel to them.

Great adventure movie.
Back to top Go down
Nihilist
Serial Troll
Serial Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:35 pm

I wasn't going to read this topic yet because SPOILERS and I plan on seeing it sometime next week, but I'm glad it's good. It was my favorite and the only Tolkien book that I was actually able to finish.

Just while I understand the whole idea of worldbuilding and its role in science fiction/fantasy stories, it's the part that makes me be very, very wary of the genre. It's easier to get through if it's visual, but reading it is painful. The orcs would be coming towards Isengard or something and right before something awesome is about to happen, somebody decides to go Let Me Sing A Song About My People and fifty page later getting back to the action I'm vaguely lost and have to resituate myself after some heavy whiplash. Not saying it's bad, just worldbuilding isn't something I enjoy reading. I like "Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas" and instruction manuals written in Chinese.

The movies were great though.

This Chrismas season has a lot of exciting movies. Hitchcock looks good, and my girlfriend wants to take me to see The Great Gatsby. Which may not be good but it's one of her favorite books.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Nihilist wrote:
I wasn't going to read this topic yet because SPOILERS and I plan on seeing it sometime next week, but I'm glad it's good. It was my favorite and the only Tolkien book that I was actually able to finish.

Just while I understand the whole idea of worldbuilding and its role in science fiction/fantasy stories, it's the part that makes me be very, very wary of the genre. It's easier to get through if it's visual, but reading it is painful. The orcs would be coming towards Isengard or something and right before something awesome is about to happen, somebody decides to go Let Me Sing A Song About My People and fifty page later getting back to the action I'm vaguely lost and have to resituate myself after some heavy whiplash. Not saying it's bad, just worldbuilding isn't something I enjoy reading. I like "Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas" and instruction manuals written in Chinese.

The movies were great though.

This Chrismas season has a lot of exciting movies. Hitchcock looks good, and my girlfriend wants to take me to see The Great Gatsby. Which may not be good but it's one of her favorite books.
The Great Gatsby isn't actually coming out until May, but you're right--there's a lot of good movies coming out right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
LeeLee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm sort of cautiously optimistic about Les Mis. Russel Crowe sings so badly though in the previews...

Anyway, no spoilers- see it- it's a great movie and has lots and lots of details if you're a fan of the book.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 pm

People have kept asking me how it stacks up as a film compared to Lord of the Rings, and all I can say is that it's really good, but a very different story, anybody going in expecting 100% Lord of the Rings again, is gonna be disappointed I think.
The tale as a whole is lighter and more optimistic, though it does have it's heavy moments. 9.5/10 Go watch.

EDIT:-

THIS SONG! THIS FUCKING SONG MAN!

Back to top Go down
LeeLee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Can't watch that in the US- I'm guessing it's the same as this?

I love that theme so much. I got chills in the theater when the Dwarves sang it, even though it's in the trailer.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Just back from the cinema and nthing the positive recs - there was a moment when the suspension of disbelief died, and I must thank this board for it - when
Spoiler:

But man, oh MAN. It was my first 3D movie by marital demand, and it will be the LAST. Eyeglasses + 3D glasses + a 3-hour movie = the Golden State Bridge sitting on my nose and ears by the time the credits appeared.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm

The Unoriginal wrote:
there was a moment when the suspension of disbelief died, and I must thank this board for it - when
Spoiler:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ME TOO :D
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Quote :
my girlfriend wants to take me to see The Great Gatsby.

OLD SPORT
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:52 am

It's AWESOME.

Most of the dwarves look fairly dwarvish though, and it just begs the question why Thorin looks susprisingly less so than the others.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
It's AWESOME.

Most of the dwarves look fairly dwarvish though, and it just begs the question why Thorin looks susprisingly less so than the others.

* decides not to make a comment about Richard Armitage's nose *

Methinks they just wanted to make the lead of the movie more 'marketable.'
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
People have kept asking me how it stacks up as a film compared to Lord of the Rings, and all I can say is that it's really good, but a very different story, anybody going in expecting 100% Lord of the Rings again, is gonna be disappointed I think.
I think it's better than the LOTR movies in several aspects. Not as heavy, less bogged down by the ponderous prose of Tolkien's later texts. Abandons the habit of setting up huge confusing battles as climaxes. The characters are more likable (Balin, oh Balin why do you have to be such an adorable old guy? Watching FOTR after this is gonna be SO depressing). Bilbo is a more straightforward character than Frodo, so he's more entertaining as the star of a movie. That's off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Well, The Hobbit was a book written for children, so on the whole it's likely to be simpler in plot and dialogue.

I loved when they kicked the SHIT out of all those goblins though...
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
(Balin, oh Balin why do you have to be such an adorable old guy? Watching FOTR after this is gonna be SO depressing)

Friendly reminder that
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Finally got to see this movie, and I loved it. It was almost better than Lord of the Rings, probably because Bilbo was awesome and Frodo was just kind of a loser. It was all the same gorgeous scenery and fun stuff of LOTR without the depressing overtones.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:17 am

Owlish wrote:
Finally got to see this movie, and I loved it. It was almost better than Lord of the Rings, probably because Bilbo was awesome and Frodo was just kind of a loser. It was all the same gorgeous scenery and fun stuff of LOTR without the depressing overtones.

Yes...and no. I really liked this movie, but the depressing overtones are definitely there, only combined with silly slapstick and Galadriel on a turnable pedestal (I would have loved to see her take a step, fall over her dress and end up in a heap at Richard Armi- I mean Thorin's feet.

And that's what confused me about this movie. On the one hand you have the high drama and Thorin angsting about his dad and his lost city and living up to the expectations of his men...and then you get 20 minutes of dwarves tossing around food and plates in a Hobbit house. We needed that introduction, because if we hadn't had it, the dwarves would have been just this faceless mob, but I was confused all the time. What's this movie trying to be? High adventure and drama? A kiddie movie? Hero's journey? The fun parts are really over the top slapstick funny, but things are going to get pretty gruesome. And the albino orc...not your basic children's fare, is he?

I loved so many things about this movie.
Spoiler:

Anyway, this was only the intro. It was good, sometimes great, but it didn't entirely work for me. I'm curious whether the second movie is smoothed out a bit when it comes to knock knock jokes and tear-inducing tragedy.
Back to top Go down
CyanideTea

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 pm

I saw the movie on opening weekend. It was my first 3D movie, in fact.
I agree with the folks who thought the tone of the film was all over the place but remember; they're appealing to EVERYONE.  I'm trying not to be such a damn hipster about it...(which is hard!)
I love the designs and personalities of the dwarves (or rather so far) since they were pretty cardboard in the book. The introduction of the movie alone of Bilbo writing his story was brilliant. I also liked how they brought up Bullroarer Took's story.

I am worried about this Tauriel chick who's going to be in the next movie played by Evangeline Lily. A redhead warrior woman. My fingers keep wandering over to my MARY SUE stamp. We'll just have to wait and see.  
Also, I CAN'T WAIT TO TASTE THE TEARS OF THE FANGIRLS. [Evil Laugh]

Speaking of Sues, anyone know of any for The Hobbit? I can't find any besides the Bilbo/Thorin fics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1