Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eeveegou
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Okay, let's chat high art fanart   Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Eeveegou wrote:
The aesthetic of the woman riding the horse, the shelf with all of the animal figurines, and the woman in the desert reading a book is pure nostalgia to me.
Hmm, I remember this one really interesting display at the modern art museum in Portland that was intended to evoke a similar feeling, I think.  IIRC it was a chunk of house, I cannot really remember if it was a home or like a BandB or something like that, but it was made to look a particular age and sort of evoke that feeling you went you you are in a place that was well lived in, probably made a lot of people think of their grandparents.  It was one of my favorite pieces.

Jeez, did you ever get to go the the modern art museum when you were in Portland?  Maybe we should roadtrip down there and do that sometime, it has some really cool exhibits.
If you remember the name of the display, I would love to look it up. Seriously, I've been trying to figure out if they've pegged that particular style/feeling with a name (as weird and stupid as that sounds) That is really awesome that it has popped up elsewhere. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see the museum while I was living in Portland -.-

Cyberwulf wrote:
here is all I know about art:

I went to the Louvre with my mother. We saw the Mona Lisa and it's small and behind a huge glass case which is itself behind a massive gang of tourists. Then I dragged her downstairs to see the Code of Hammurabi. That is all.
One of the reasons why it is put behind glass is because it is in its own climate/humidity controlled glass case to preserve it. Over the years, it warps and people have to touch it up, there's even a crack running down from the top of the picture.

The Mona Lisa is weird because it is one of those pieces where you scratch your head wondering why it has this kind of "aura" to it that makes a shit ton of people want to preserve it as close as they possibly can to its original form. Shit, you also scratch your head wondering why people still pilgrimage to see the damn thing. I mean, maybe it's age. However, you can't ignore how many people use it in their own art (Warhol, Duchamp, or really any Dadaist/Eccentric) Post-"the Marxist revolution that didn't happen" critics talk about its "aura" and how it continues to evolve and change as time goes on... much like the Venus de Milo. Shit, I think the painting's over 500-something years old. In fact, it's changed so much that I'm not sure why we go through so much trouble preserving it... like, wondering what the point even is. Presently, the Mona Lisa can be boiled down to material/idol worship (not to mention a real money-maker) or a parody.
Back to top Go down
http://eeveegou.deviantart.com
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Okay, let's chat high art fanart   Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:08 pm

It was awesome to visit the Louvre. They had some of Michelangelo's sculptures, too.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person

PostSubject: Re: Okay, let's chat high art fanart   Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 am

I dearly want to go to the Louvre. I am kind of neutral about the Mona Lisa, but I would love to see all the other stuff.

Displays of less famous/old stuff where you actually get to get close and really look at the texture of the piece are great though. There was this one at... I think the Fry museum in Seattle?? IDK, but it was pretty neat, just a shit-ton of old paintings in fancy frames all crammed together covering the walls. It was overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Okay, let's chat high art fanart   

Back to top Go down

Okay, let's chat high art fanart
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: New Releases-
Jump to: