Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Save the Pearls

Go down 
+10
Cyberwulf
myeerah
Mouse
Lurv
Snake Bandage
TheHedonist
Somath Cegem
Penguin
Exodia's Right Leg
Sakurelf
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
anonamous9999

Save the Pearls - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Pearls   Save the Pearls - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:25 pm

1-310-459-3399 1-310-990-1660
Victoria Foyt
609 E. Channel Road
Los Angeles-Pacific Palisades, California
USA
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Save the Pearls   Save the Pearls - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 7:28 pm

anonamous9999 wrote:
Address / contact info

WTF? What is this shit?

e: yes, I know it's the author's info, but srsly. WTF?
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: Save the Pearls   Save the Pearls - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 am

Nonny suggests sending hatemail, I believe.

I don't have time for this bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Save the Pearls   Save the Pearls - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 am

Mouse wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Mouse wrote:
Lordy...you wouldn't think it'be possible to find the female version of Priviledge-Denying Dude, but here we are.

Why wouldn't you?

Yeah, I know it was really stupid of me to say that, especially since I get pretty vocal whenever someone talks about how if women ran everything, it'd be a utopia because we're all in touch with nature and nuturing and all that shit. Uh yeah, clearly they haven't heard of Margaret Thatcher. But it appears I fell into that trap, assuming that a grown woman couldn't be that sheltered and that stupid. I now apologize and throw myself on the mercy of the court. If it helps, I can be helpful in gathering others to toil in your underground sugar mines. Razz

That really wasn't my point, and privileged doesn't necessarily mean sheltered. Or vice versa.

If this seems like splitting hairs, well... who's more privileged in western society: A white straight woman, or a black straight man?

Quote :
Still, Stephenie Meyer should have been enough of a clue that you really can be published and an adult and still be that clueless. It almost makes me long for Christopher Paolini: at least you could chalk up his ignorance to living in Bumfuck, Montana with his parents and being constantly surrounded by people who tell him what prodigy he is.

Honestly, Stephanie Meyer is in the same boat: She's got some seriously ignorant ideas about relationships shaped by where she grew up, combined with an echo chamber.

Quote :
Rolling Eyes Also, he hasn't pulled anything on the offense level of Save the Pearls.

Meh, it's not that offensive. The most offensive thing about it, to me, is the sheer length gone to in order to create a situation where white people are the poor and downtrodden, and yet somehow special. If you want to be clever by doing "topsy-turvy race relations," you have to do it in a context that has some kind of impact. Post-apocalyptia removes all impact, because everyone knows the nukes will never drop so any scenario you could invent is fundamentally absurdist what-if-ism. The true value of a "race reversal" scenario is saying to the privileged: "This is how life would be if the things you took for granted didn't count anymore."

I guess "save the jizzstains" would have less impact, though. Seriously though, "white people die out and are replaced by the darkies" is standard racist literature.

Unless you're reflexively reacting to the blackface, in which case... no. I would say that's the only case where this doesn't become completely failass. Why? Because if you want to turn everything upside down... making yourself up to be whatever the dominant race is is a viable tactic. One of the more famous stories of the Underground Railroad was a pair of slaves escaping fairly easily thanks to the half-white slave wife disguising herself as a white slave owner, with her husband as her slave. In other words, within the context of the story, it's not stupid. The story is stupid, but this aspect of it is not, if that makes any sense. The real problem is the ham-fisted, apropos of nothing, "feel sorry for these white people for being white" message of the story. People do that all the time right now. We don't need a fiction that justifies it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Save the Pearls   Save the Pearls - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Save the Pearls
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2