Why God, Why?


 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Shipping Wars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 40
Location : The land of the fruits and nuts

PostSubject: Shipping Wars   Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Some fanbrats get so involved their favorite "ship" that they behave like religious nuts. Die for our ship! My OTP is the only valid one and you're evil for liking a different pairing!

The most batshit insane of these that I've seen (so far) are (of course) Twitards. Team Edward! Team Jacob! Never mind that Bella chooses Edward in canon--the fanbrats have to have big Internet fights over which relationship is the "right" one. Y'know, which is really the best man--the sparkly undead stalker or the pedophile werewolf.



Then there's The Hunger Games, for which the fanbrats insist upon bickering over who Katniss' true love is--Peeta or Gale. At least with Twilight, concentrating upon romance makes sense, since that's what the series is about, but for The Hunger Games--the fanbrats somehow seem to miss the fact that Katniss spends most of the series determined that she will never marry or have children (because said children could easily be sent to die in the Hunger Games). Of course, the Team Peeta fanbrats are entertaining when they try to come up with a name for their OTP--Katpee and Peeniss make readers lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm

For reasons that make no sense to me, a good many Doctor Who fans insist on pairing 11 with Rose. Despite the fact she's in an alternate universe with 10's doppleganger and 11's never met her.

I can only assume that they refuse to believe The Doctor could ever love anyone but Rose. Certainly not that hussy River Song.

Then there are the frustrated 11/Amy shippers, who are pissed off that she and Rory got married and and she's perfectly happy to have a life outside traveling with 11.

Then there are the Matt Smith/Arthur Darvill shippers (Smarvill's), who apparently can't believe that two men can be close friends without being sexually involved with each other (Karen is their 'beard' so no one will suspect).
Back to top Go down
Kevin M
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 31
Location : The greatest city on Earth.

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:22 am

I remember Avatar: The Last Airbender having having some really nasty shipping wars. The whole "Zuko and Katara" contingent could get pretty vocal at times. And when Katara ended up with Aang in the show...it didn't stop a damn thing.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 48
Location : very, very close to Chris

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:47 am

Of course, no discussion of shipping would be complete without mentioning the Harmonians and their battle cry, "Screw canon! JKR was wrong! Harry and Hermione OTP!"
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-12
Location : Dining car on the Train of Time, DenLiner

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:03 am

Kevin M wrote:
I remember Avatar: The Last Airbender having having some really nasty shipping wars. The whole "Zuko and Katara" contingent could get pretty vocal at times. And when Katara ended up with Aang in the show...it didn't stop a damn thing.

Fan-brats are stubborn--if not rock-stupid--like that. Of course with Legend of Korra, the shipping can only get worse. There'll be Sues who won't age beyond 15-17 who claim to be the long-lost illegitimate offspring of Katara and Zuko. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if shipping wars start up of Zuko's grandson and Mako fighting for Korra! Obviously, Bolin won't get any attention in any of this, because fuck Bolin, he's not SPESHUL.

Oh, and then! AND THEN! We can expect a lot of Tenzin/Jin Beifong shipping because, according to fanbrats, Pema's a whore, never mind the fact she's Tenzin's wife!

Fucking fan-brats...
Back to top Go down
GamemasterAnthony
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 42
Location : Minneapolis, MN, Real-Earth

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 am

I usually call these "pairing wars", but shipping wars works.

Actually, if you want to avoid shipping wars like the plague...do NOT go into the Sonic fanfiction sites. The SonAmy vs. SonSally wars are STILL going on to this day, despite Amy being a fangirl more obsessed than Bates' character from "Misery" and Sally recently roboticized in the Archie comic.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-03
Age : 35
Location : TRILOBITE!

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 pm

The nastiest shipping wars I've ever observed were during the last two and a half seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It felt like the fandom was overrun with people who shipped Buffy/Spike and went out of their way to bash any pairing that "interfered" with that. It didn't help that by Season Six Buffy was having an unhealthy, almost abusive sexual relationship with Spike that many fans found objectionable for reasons that weren't "but they should be with other people!" Any discussion of the unhealthiness of the canon relationship ended in flame wars. Buffy/Spike shippers were inclined to treat any forum that discussed Buffy the Vampire Slayer or hosted Buffy fanfiction as if it was a Buffy/Spike site. In the end people who were fed up with the B/S shippers and the increasingly nasty canon relationship between Buffy and Spike had to set up their own Yahoo! group just to talk in peace. That's how fucking crazy it got.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
The nastiest shipping wars I've ever observed were during the last two and a half seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It felt like the fandom was overrun with people who shipped Buffy/Spike and went out of their way to bash any pairing that "interfered" with that. It didn't help that by Season Six Buffy was having an unhealthy, almost abusive sexual relationship with Spike that many fans found objectionable for reasons that weren't "but they should be with other people!" Any discussion of the unhealthiness of the canon relationship ended in flame wars. Buffy/Spike shippers were inclined to treat any forum that discussed Buffy the Vampire Slayer or hosted Buffy fanfiction as if it was a Buffy/Spike site. In the end people who were fed up with the B/S shippers and the increasingly nasty canon relationship between Buffy and Spike had to set up their own Yahoo! group just to talk in peace. That's how fucking crazy it got.

I was never quite sure who was more abusive in that relationship. I'm leaning towards Buffy. Spike was a little more physically abusive (a little), but Buffy was all hells of emotionally abusive.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 44
Location : South Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Buffy used him, pure and simple. Spike, weird as it is, fell in love with her for her. She took advantage of that. When she cut it off, THEN he abused her--physically. It was a very unhealthy relationship, period.
Back to top Go down
Anon
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2010-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 am

myeerah wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
The nastiest shipping wars I've ever observed were during the last two and a half seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It felt like the fandom was overrun with people who shipped Buffy/Spike and went out of their way to bash any pairing that "interfered" with that. It didn't help that by Season Six Buffy was having an unhealthy, almost abusive sexual relationship with Spike that many fans found objectionable for reasons that weren't "but they should be with other people!" Any discussion of the unhealthiness of the canon relationship ended in flame wars. Buffy/Spike shippers were inclined to treat any forum that discussed Buffy the Vampire Slayer or hosted Buffy fanfiction as if it was a Buffy/Spike site. In the end people who were fed up with the B/S shippers and the increasingly nasty canon relationship between Buffy and Spike had to set up their own Yahoo! group just to talk in peace. That's how fucking crazy it got.

I was never quite sure who was more abusive in that relationship. I'm leaning towards Buffy. Spike was a little more physically abusive (a little), but Buffy was all hells of emotionally abusive.
So was Spike. Difference between the two was that Buffy was severely depressed where as Spike was as close to sane as he's ever been.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
avatar

Join date : 2009-07-18
Location : Wild Gray Yonder

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 am

Buffy can fuck right the hell off, either way
Back to top Go down
knightwithoutacause
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2009-12-08
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 am

After Tara was no longer part of the series, Joss Whedon received a great deal of fanhate because many believed that he was following the trope of one lesbian going crazy and the other dying. To appease the fanbase, he gave Willow a new girlfriend in the form of potential slayer Kennedy. Shipping wars ensued. More fun could be had if a person brought up Oz during an argument between the Willow/Kennedy and Willow/Tara shippers. Because a character can only have one true love in their lives, don't you know.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 44
Location : South Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Penguin wrote:
Buffy can fuck right the hell off, either way

Arguably, the weakest character in Buffy was Buffy. She had her moments, but for the most part I found her vapid, insensitive, self-centered and whiny. But with most shows and books I like... I like the supporting characters.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-03
Age : 35
Location : TRILOBITE!

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Anon wrote:
myeerah wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
The nastiest shipping wars I've ever observed were during the last two and a half seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It felt like the fandom was overrun with people who shipped Buffy/Spike and went out of their way to bash any pairing that "interfered" with that. It didn't help that by Season Six Buffy was having an unhealthy, almost abusive sexual relationship with Spike that many fans found objectionable for reasons that weren't "but they should be with other people!" Any discussion of the unhealthiness of the canon relationship ended in flame wars. Buffy/Spike shippers were inclined to treat any forum that discussed Buffy the Vampire Slayer or hosted Buffy fanfiction as if it was a Buffy/Spike site. In the end people who were fed up with the B/S shippers and the increasingly nasty canon relationship between Buffy and Spike had to set up their own Yahoo! group just to talk in peace. That's how fucking crazy it got.

I was never quite sure who was more abusive in that relationship. I'm leaning towards Buffy. Spike was a little more physically abusive (a little), but Buffy was all hells of emotionally abusive.
So was Spike. Difference between the two was that Buffy was severely depressed where as Spike was as close to sane as he's ever been.

Point is, you couldn't have any kind of discussion about how abusive the canon relationship was on many general Buffy forums without crazed Spuffy shippers (and to a lesser extent, Spike fans) jumping all over you and flaming you to kingdom come. The only exception was if your comment was along the lines of "OMG BUFFY IS SOOOOOO MEEN TO SPIKEY WHY CAN'T SHE SEE HE LOOOOVES HER". Because stalking equals love, of course.


Almost as bad as the fanatical shippers are the people who actively hate shipping of any kind. The people who see a fic pairing John-Joe and Dexy and proceed to leave a huge diatribe of a review "proving" that John-Joe and Dexy are straight STRAIGHT GODDAMN IT and will never, EVER BE TOGETHER YOU DELUDED DIPSHIT. Because it's not possible to write fanfic involving a pairing just for entertainment or titillation, it has to be a firmly-held belief that the characters really, really love each other.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
avatar

Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 31
Location : Niggertown, HUAHUEHUAland

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:00 am

Someone already mentioned Zutara, Harmony and Sonic pairings? What am I supposed to do in this thread now?

Ahem.

Zutara is one of the funniest rabid shippings I've seen. It was born of literally nothing but literary convention and wishful thinking. The shippers saw the troubled, sympathetic and ultimately good-looking enemy, and promptly Leather-Pantsed him. They saw the antagonism as evidence for future romance, because everyone knows he's gonna eventually turn good, right?

The characters barely even interact until the end of the second season, upon which they immediately try to murder each other. And then he brutally dashes expectations by doing a heel turn and siding with the villains. By the time they get in friendly terms, way near the end of the final season, the shippers were already running full steam long ago.
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 28
Location : Under the kitchen sink

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:21 am

The Avatar fandom is weird with shipping. Zutards were the Harmony-type shippers that no one likes, but recently people are more focused at frowning at Makorra shippers since Mako is a huge dick and how could you even like that. Also recently Tokka (Toph/Sokka) shippers been getting rather unbearable. Which is funny because by the time Legend of Korra starts, both characters are dead. They're just having a blast insisting Lin is Sokka's child even though that would make her and Tenzin cousins and they dated for a good while...

When I was younger I tended to stay away from the shipping wars (by shipping the adult villains no one gave a shit about) so much that I missed out on them almost completely. I only heard stories of the Pokeshipping vs. Palletshipping wars even though I was around when they happened. I think I did a lot more skipping between the raindrops when it came to the Taiora-Sorato-Taito war, though these days I'm more likely to meet bitter old "soldiers". It's like, guys, most of you have graduated from college already, let it fucking go.

Sometimes I'm sort of glad I'm one of the older people in the Homestuck fandom. A lot of kids look up to me due to my perceived maturity, and with my fandom seniority and experience I've been able to prevent several childish squabbles between impressionable Karkat/Terezi shippers and Dave/Terezi shippers. I don't think this fandom actually does big shipping wars, though, probably because there are so many characters to ship. And the big battles are about sexuality erasure, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
avatar

Join date : 2010-01-10
Age : 26
Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 am

Snake Bandage wrote:
A lot of kids look up to me due to my perceived maturity, and with my fandom seniority and experience I've been able to prevent several childish squabbles between impressionable Karkat/Terezi shippers and Dave/Terezi shippers. I don't think this fandom actually does big shipping wars, though, probably because there are so many characters to ship. And the big battles are about sexuality erasure, anyway.

Colbert Why the fuck are you taking PRIDE in this fact?
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 28
Location : Under the kitchen sink

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 am

Reidmar wrote:
Snake Bandage wrote:
A lot of kids look up to me due to my perceived maturity, and with my fandom seniority and experience I've been able to prevent several childish squabbles between impressionable Karkat/Terezi shippers and Dave/Terezi shippers. I don't think this fandom actually does big shipping wars, though, probably because there are so many characters to ship. And the big battles are about sexuality erasure, anyway.

Colbert Why the fuck are you taking PRIDE in this fact?
Because I'm preventing shipping wars by being sensible, reliable and mature. I'm just stoked someone thinks I'm not a dumb kid.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Location : computer chair

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Snake Bandage wrote:
childish squabbles between impressionable Karkat/Terezi shippers and Dave/Terezi shippers. I don't think this fandom actually does big shipping wars, though, probably because there are so many characters to ship. And the big battles are about sexuality erasure, anyway.

Admittedly, I'm not all that far into the series, yet, so I may be mistaken, but... the trolls don't seem to really care about that whole monogamy thing, any more than they care about that whole hetero/homo thing. So why should anyone argue? YOU CAN SHIP ALL THE THINGS. At the same time, even.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 40
Location : The land of the fruits and nuts

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:14 pm

In the Titanic fandom, every so often a minor shipping war will rise up over whether it's okay to ship fictitious characters with real people (in particular, there's a little group that likes to ship Rose/Thomas Andrews). These arguments can often be found in the reviews, usually along the lines of:

Reviewer 1: How dare you ship him with someone other than his wife!
Reviewer 2: It's just fiction!
Reviewer 3: His wife was a bitch!
Reviewer 4: Andrews didn't really exist, people!
Reviewer 5: Yes, he did! You sound like one of those people who think the Titanic didn't exist!
Reviewer 4 (again): It's just a movie!
Reviewer 5 (again): It is not! It's real, and it's disrespectful to make a real person fall in love with someone who isn't real! And his wife wasn't a bitch, and you're a bitch for saying so!
Reviewer 6: Yay! Write more. Please review my story.

At this point, the author almost invariably (a) takes down the story in a snit, or (b) blocks all the detractors. Meanwhile, everyone else points and goes
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 28
Location : Under the kitchen sink

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:11 pm

rae wrote:
Snake Bandage wrote:
childish squabbles between impressionable Karkat/Terezi shippers and Dave/Terezi shippers. I don't think this fandom actually does big shipping wars, though, probably because there are so many characters to ship. And the big battles are about sexuality erasure, anyway.

Admittedly, I'm not all that far into the series, yet, so I may be mistaken, but... the trolls don't seem to really care about that whole monogamy thing, any more than they care about that whole hetero/homo thing. So why should anyone argue? YOU CAN SHIP ALL THE THINGS. At the same time, even.
Semantics. Trolls do have four types of relationships they think of as romance, of which two are concupiscent and signify pity-based sexual partnership and hate-based sexual partnership. Of these, the sexual pity quadrant, or matespritship, is the one quadrant that most closely resembles the human concept of love. People in the fandom don't mind shipping the characters in ANY quadrant, but they're all still human beings so the love-like quadrant is most attractive to them and get really attached to their "red" OTPs and have trouble budging from them. It doesn't help that the main characters are actually human who aren't really into the whole quadrants thing.

I'm just sitting here and waiting till everyone realizes Karkat is slowly edging towards human-style panromantic monogamy and might ditch the four quadrants altogether because he's too much in love with Terezi to care anymore. Then, no one will be able to stop the shipping wars. I won't even be able to mediate anymore, everyone will eat each other alive and it'll be glorious.
Back to top Go down
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I would just wish that someone would tell the shippers that not every breakup is a "Jane, you ignorant slut!" kind of breakup. People have gone out with each other, realized they work better as friends than as lovers, broken up, and remained friends afterwards. In fact, that phenomenon is probably more common than the breakups that happen because one person is Adolf Q. Stalin-Pot and the other one is a saintly victim who needs to be rescued by a manly outsider.
Back to top Go down
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender


Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Mouse wrote:
Adolf Q. Stalin-Pot
Mind if I use this name for a character?
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Go right ahead. Cool I'll even let you decide what the Q in Adolf Q. Stalin-Pot stands for. I've always told people it stands for either Quincy or Quietus but I've never been able to decide which.
Back to top Go down
JillDragon



Join date : 2011-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Mouse wrote:
Go right ahead. Cool I'll even let you decide what the Q in Adolf Q. Stalin-Pot stands for. I've always told people it stands for either Quincy or Quietus but I've never been able to decide which.

Here I thought it was for (Vidkun) Quisling. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Shipping Wars   

Back to top Go down
 
Shipping Wars
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The Bleach pairing war is getting out of control!
» Does anybody play Mafia Wars on Facebook?
» Where to buy lego?
» Vintage Star Wars calendars on Ebay!
» eBay international shipping solutions...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Rumpus Room :: The Couch-
Jump to: