Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Backstory of a character...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CaptainMcNeil
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
CaptainMcNeil

Backstory of a character... Empty
PostSubject: Backstory of a character...   Backstory of a character... EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Can prostitution ever be used as a backstory for a character? Ususally it just adds to the wagnst and the character feels disgusting that they had to reduce themselves to this level. It also tends to bring 'comfort' from the designated love interest, and the fact that they were a prostitute never comes back to bite them in the ass.

If I had a character who did not angst about it, actually felt okay with what he had to do to survive, knows it was a mistake, does not get comfort from designated love interest (in fact, gets a disgusted reaction), and the fact does come back to haunt him, could I sucessfully pull this off?

Excuse the run on sentence.

When I mean coming back to haunt him I mean nearly costing him his life because the government he serves does not look to well upon gay/bisexual people (and anyone else in the LGBTQI spectrum).

Can I pull this off using everything in the 2nd paragraph? Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Backstory of a character...   Backstory of a character... EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 6:39 pm

You can write about anything you want, IMO. There aren't any hard and fast rules about what to do to avoid ending up with a cliché. What's more important is why you want to use prostitution as a backstory. If it's because you want to write about prostitutes and prostitution, then research research research and go ahead. If it's because you want [terrible/shameful thing] to have happened to your character...maybe think about it a little more.

If you're writing fanfiction and are using a character you didn't create, then how the character feels about his time as a prostitute, whether he tells people about it etc. depends on the character himself. It's fine for him to feel ashamed of it and disgusted with himself if that's in character for him. With fanfiction the characters have to ring true, or else it might as well be original fiction with canon names pasted on.
Back to top Go down
CaptainMcNeil
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
CaptainMcNeil

PostSubject: Re: Backstory of a character...   Backstory of a character... EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks! I probably should've mentioned its original fiction...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backstory of a character...   Backstory of a character... Empty

Back to top Go down

Backstory of a character...
Page 1 of 1