Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja

Go down 
+7
Penguin
Dr. Quinzel
KGarrett
Cyberwulf
Dixie
InkWeaver
TheIan
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 am

kelley28 wrote:
But, is all Twilight slashfic with horrible grammar bad enough to snark? Maybe it's just boring and mediocre. Or, would you be snarking it because you just don't like Twilight? I have seen many snarkers chastised for that very reason. You can't have it both ways. Either everyone gets to do it, or no one does.

I can see that you make a habit of missing the point, so let me make it absolutely clear: If some kid's writing is fair game, the writing of someone old enough to post here is fair game.

Quote :
Quote :
Well then, why the fuck are you talking to me?
Probably because I read some of your other posts and you went from a nice, helpful person to a whiner.

I can't imagine how surreal having a conversation with you in real time must be. Let's recap:

"What's funny about this snark?"
"What's funny about Cyberwulf's snarks?"
"Cyberwulf's snarks have nothing to do with what I just said."
"Yeah well she's having the latest in a long string of bitchfests."
"Soooo what does that have to do with what I said?"
"Because you went from a nice, helpful person to a whiner!"

Note how you have consistently failed to actually answer anything I asked. "Because Cyberwulf" is not an answer. "You're mean" is not an answer. You also completely failed to get the point when I brought up Dane Cook: Yes, he's a fairly unpopular comedian around here, but I could've used anyone else in his place and it wouldn't have changed my statement at all. Instead of dealing with what I'd just pointed out: That you don't have to be a successful stand-up comedian to dislike a stand-up comedian, you tried flailing about with the "humor is subjective! Humor is subjective!!11" defense.

Read. Comprehend. Post. In that order.

Besides, I find the idea that you've noted anything about me to be hard to swallow, given that you seem to think I'm some sort of sycophantic Cyberwulf-follower. She and I hardly agree on anything. Even when we agree about something, we're usually still butting heads over details on the same issue.

Quote :
Two threads in a row and saying the same thing you said last time. I figured once was plenty.

When a lack of comprehension is evident, re-stating the same thing a different way might get the point across.

Quote :
If someone is going to listen to you, they'll change. If not, you might as well let it go.

If someone is going to reply to something I've said, I would hope they'd listened first. But that would explain why this conversation feels every bit as coherent as stating the time and getting "Jelly beans hot dog rozzer tosser blogger" in response.
TheIan wrote:
I think what Kelley is trying to say, Penguin, is

GET THE FUCK OFF MY BACK!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Quote :
Your need to nitpick every statement and invalidate it is getting old. Give it a fucking rest.

Enough. We're out of time, Ian. The numbers! What do they mean?
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 am

TheIan wrote:

Your need to nitpick every statement and invalidate it is getting old. Give it a fucking rest.

Telling you to put more effort into your "snarks" and that your goal to be funny has not been met is not a "need to nitpick every statement and invalidate it." Back off the victim complex, Ian, and maybe try to take the advice of the several posters who've given you constructive criticism. Dr. Quinzel, for example, has given you some great advice.

kelley28 wrote:
Is she blowing you or something?

I just snorted so hard I destroyed half my sinuses. Thank you for the laugh. (At the idea of Penguin and Cyberwulf, like, agreeing. Or getting along. Shit.)
Back to top Go down
kelley28

kelley28

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 9:38 am

So, you don`t find some people funny. WHO CARES?!?! It's not all about you. Why should anyone change because you said so? Speaking of not listening, I do believe I offered a truce. Guess you can't handle anyone criticizing your critisism. You can dish it out, but you sure can`t take it.
Back to top Go down
Alhazred
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Alhazred

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am

Ian certainly cares.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:15 am

InkWeaver wrote:
TheIan wrote:

Telling you to put more effort into your "snarks" and that your goal to be funny has not been met is not a "need to nitpick every statement and invalidate it." Back off the victim complex, Ian, and maybe try to take the advice of the several posters who've given you constructive criticism. Dr. Quinzel, for example, has given you some great advice.
So that's what they're saying? I couldn't tell. How could I mistake that constructive criticism for bitching?

Telling someone to "FOR THE LOVE OF OPTIMUS CHRIST, BE FUNNY GODDAMN YOU!" is not constructive. It's telling me you don't get how my humor works. If you want me to put effort into it, I won't feel it's funny in my own way. I don't know what appeals to half you people in the first place! I'm not some comedic genius, I just snark bad-fic on my own pace!

Don't get me wrong, Ink, I like you. You're cool. I'm not denying Quinzel didn't give bad advice, it's just easier said than done for me.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Are you saying that if you actually put effort into something, it won't be funny? Because, Ian, they're not really very funny right now, when you're not putting effort into it. Is that what you're saying? I'm confused.

Look. No one's asking you to be a "comedic genius." But misconstruing what's been said (Cyberwulf hasn't necessarily been constructive, but Penguin certainly has, even if he hasn't sugar-coated it, and so has Dr. Quinzel) as just bitching, when it's clearly not, is really childish and annoying. At least take the crit without making yourself look like a douche.

You don't even have to respond to the critiquing if you don't want to. You could just take it or leave it. You could take it and silently work on what you're doing. You don't have to work magic overnight. It's not super serious to be good at snarking or something, but if you're posting something with the intent to be funny, and a lot of people have expressed that it's boring, then you're failing your goal. Doesn't that make you want to improve? And you can't say you're just snarking for your own enjoyment, or else you wouldn't post it on a public forum for people to comment on.
Back to top Go down
Alhazred
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Alhazred

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 7:52 pm

TheIan wrote:
OPTIMUS CHRIST

This is not a swear.

Stop saying this.

THIS IS SOMETHING A TWELVE YEAR OLD WOULD SAY.

Use real fucking curses.

Even if it's just "Bitch" so Cy can pretend to be offended.

STOP BEING HARLEY.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 pm

InkWeaver wrote:
Are you saying that if you actually put effort into something, it won't be funny? Because, Ian, they're not really very funny right now, when you're not putting effort into it. Is that what you're saying? I'm confused.

Look. No one's asking you to be a "comedic genius." But misconstruing what's been said (Cyberwulf hasn't necessarily been constructive, but Penguin certainly has, even if he hasn't sugar-coated it, and so has Dr. Quinzel) as just bitching, when it's clearly not, is really childish and annoying. At least take the crit without making yourself look like a douche.

You don't even have to respond to the critiquing if you don't want to. You could just take it or leave it. You could take it and silently work on what you're doing. You don't have to work magic overnight. It's not super serious to be good at snarking or something, but if you're posting something with the intent to be funny, and a lot of people have expressed that it's boring, then you're failing your goal. Doesn't that make you want to improve? And you can't say you're just snarking for your own enjoyment, or else you wouldn't post it on a public forum for people to comment on.
You are the second person on this board, Ink, who has ever talked to me like a real human being. Well, technically, fourth, but I'm not sure if private messages count.
Yeah, I don't take sarcasm well. I try to be funny, I really do. But when someone doesn't tell me upfront and in a direct manner, it doesn't tell me where I need to improve.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 6:44 am

That's why I asked why you thought some of your comments were funny: I wanted to try and understand where exactly you were coming from, so that you could avoid being plagued with the same criticism over and over again.

Admittedly it can be something that's hard to explain, but it is explicable. Since Cyberwulf seems our go-to in this thread for debating humor, I'll use her as an example. In an unrelated context, she asked what was funny about some kinds of humor that she found offensive; usually the "edgy" kind. Usually this type of humor involves nudging people out of their comfort zones: Something otherwise offensive can be said clearly in jest or sarcastically, and it'll be funny. She's done this herself even if she's not obviously aware of it.

I'll be straight with you: Being funny is often challenging. I haven't updated my Blue Moon snark for awhile because I've been struggling to come up with something actually funny, rather than just complaining about the same bullshit Laurell K. Hamilton pulls every fucking chapter of her novels. It doesn't help that, for whatever reason, my computer refuses to believe my microphone exists, so I can't do a dramatic readings anymore.

I mean, on the surface, every other thing she writes is ripe for the snarking: Tortured metaphors, purple prose, awkward phrases, blatant Sueism/author avatar... but it's not really enough to merely point these things out. That's just a critique. A snark takes the truly stupid things an author does and makes a joke about them. Since this is a critical format, a joke about something that actually isn't a fault (as showcased in your Zombieland double feature, for example) is every bit as funny as asking why a chicken crossed the road.
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 6:57 am

...thanks to this thread, I saw this picture through google:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It made me laugh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja   Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fallen SOLDIER, Rising Ninja
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2