Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people

Go down 
+12
lemmingwriter
Cyberwulf
Lexin
ZoZo
Snake Bandage
Mikey Go WOOGA
Goat
Mr.Doobie
Penguin
Maximilia
Braigwen
Malganis
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people Empty
PostSubject: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:17 pm

link

Quote :
People who are overweight or obese are more likely to die sooner from varying causes than those with healthy weight, according to the first government study to pinpoint risks from findings on 1.5 million white Americans.

Women who never smoked and were classified as merely overweight and not obese -- a 5-foot 5-inch female weighing 150 to 179 pounds -- had a 13 percent greater risk of dying sooner than normal weight peers, the research found. Women who were obese -- 5-foot 5-inches and more than 180 pounds -- had a 44 percent higher risk. The results for men were similar.

Well, that sort of sucks...

Quote :
Both overweight and obesity are associated with increased all-cause mortality,” wrote the authors led by Amy Berrington de Gonzalez at the National Cancer Institute. “The results of our analysis are most relevant to whites living in affluent countries.”

The analysis looked at people’s body mass index, or BMI, a measure of weight based on height. The authors identified a sweet spot that they found was healthiest, a BMI between 20 and 24.9. To be in that category, people who are 5-feet 5-inches tall should weigh between 120 and 149 pounds and people who are 5-feet 10-inches should weigh 140 to 173 pounds. Weighing more than that puts people into the overweight category and starts increasing their risk of health problems that can lead to death.

The death rate increased the most, by 88 percent, in the severely obese whose BMI is 35 or higher. In the U.S., 17 percent of women and 11 percent of men are severely obese.

For this analysis, researchers looked at 19 studies. The people involved had a median age of 58 and were followed for a median of 10 years to record deaths from all causes. Those who smoked or had pre-existing illness such as heart disease or cancer were excluded to eliminate the influence of those factors on their risk of death, the authors said.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:40 pm

According to UK researchers, Central Heat makes people fat.

So... turn off the heat and make people freeze their fat asses off?
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm

...I hate to be rude, but well... duh?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 9:25 pm

... In other news the grass is green and rain is wet. And now, Dick Winters with the weather...
Back to top Go down
Goat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Goat

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Dude, what did you expect?

I get that people have different types of bodies, but being overweight really fucks with your metabolism and other shit inside you. For one, it can throw your endocrine system off, since many hormones are synthesized from cholesterol, and it reduces the amount of water in your body drastically, so it's only logical.

All in all, I believe you're thinking too drastically about it, since being, say, 1.70 m with a BMI of 28 (overweight) already means you carry around 10 extra kilos, more or less. Being 10 kilos overweight is not healthy. So being in the normal weight spectrum means you can be what society thinks is "chubby" (god, and I use that word for lack of a better term) and still be perfectly healthy.

Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 pm

So this means you and Cyberfatty will die soon and the cutwank (and all of the other preachy fail you bring) and feminism lunacy will all end?

I'll be over here, living a long, healthy life due to my crushing ronriness leaving me with WAY too much free time to play basketball and exercise. (Goat will be living a long life in Colombia, because everyone there is scrawny because they all snort a ludicrous amount of cocaine play soccer).

Doobster wrote:
... In other news the grass is green and rain is wet. And now, Dick Winters with the weather...

I'll overlook the appallingly overused "in other news rain is wet" line if "Dick Winters" was and intentional crack about the current weather. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Pfft, knew that already for years. My doctor is particularly annoying about it.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Yes, how dare a who's job it is to at least inform you of health concerns and offer advise on how to possibly remedy inform you of health concerns and offer advise on how to possibly remedy them?!
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Dick Winters with the weather
Wonders what you are talking about. Posthumously.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:13 am

This is rather unsurprising news... is it even news in fact? I'm fairly sure this has been known for years.

Epidemiologically speaking, the BMI stats tend to hold up. They're not a great marker for individual health, given the many other factors that affect health, but in general, yes. Extra weight is associated with shorter life.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:54 am

ZoZo wrote:
Extra weight is associated with shorter life.
Even though I'm fat and probably ought to panic, I do still wonder why this is a problem. It's great news for pension schemes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 am

Lexin wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
Extra weight is associated with shorter life.
Even though I'm fat and probably ought to panic, I do still wonder why this is a problem. It's great news for pension schemes.
And healthcare providers. Less of a burden on society altogether Wink
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 am

I'm totes using this the next time some concern troll starts harping on about fat people using up more healthcare money/resources. Seriously though, more motivation for me to keep up with the exercise and eat healthier. I want to be Nana Taylor when I get old.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
I want to be Nana Taylor when I get old.
After what's happened to my mother (the main indicator of what is likely to happen to me), I'm not sure I want to get particularly old. I think I'd rather die earlier from a heart attack than linger on in the sort of indignity my mother endures. She's doubly incontinent, unable to move, has to have two carers in four times a day to empty her catheter bags and ensure she's clean, but her mind is completely intact. It's awful to see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Lexin wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
I want to be Nana Taylor when I get old.
After what's happened to my mother (the main indicator of what is likely to happen to me), I'm not sure I want to get particularly old. I think I'd rather die earlier from a heart attack than linger on in the sort of indignity my mother endures. She's doubly incontinent, unable to move, has to have two carers in four times a day to empty her catheter bags and ensure she's clean, but her mind is completely intact. It's awful to see.
Yeah...that's not fun.

With my parents it's too early to tell, but going by my grandparents, I think it depends on which side of the family I take after. Ma - good. Da - dodgy.
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
With my parents it's too early to tell, but going by my grandparents, I think it depends on which side of the family I take after. Ma - good. Da - dodgy.

Same (or similar) here. Either you drop early or you go on for-freaking-ever, although it may be less of the former and more of the latter now that family members aren't smoking like chimneys anymore. I have a great (great?) aunt who's closing in on the century mark, and she's still going strong--driving, shopping, and painting absolutely gorgeous landscapes. I wish I inherited her talent.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Quote :
To be in that category, people who are 5-feet 5-inches tall should weigh between 120 and 149
This works out pretty good for me, actually.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:46 pm

I thought the theory that fat people die sooner was common knowledge - and it's hardly godawful news.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Now, I can't remember where I've seen this (if anybody can find me a source that either shuts me down or backs me up I'll be hella greatful) , but I am sure that being under your BMI is alot more deadly than being over it.
Being over weight is very bad that's obvious, but all articles like this are going to do is shove people into becoming underweight out of fear of being over weight and that's just as bad if not worse.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:43 pm

^
It's easier to be overweight according to BMI but still in healthy shape than it is to be underweight and healthy.

It's not necessarily straight up weight, it's what makes up the weight. At 6'0'' and 189 pounds, Wayne Gretzky has a BMI of 25.63. Dan Girardi at 6'2'' and 215 pounds has a BMI over 27.

These guys are/were NHL players, they're not in bad shape. It's just the muscle they have that normal people don't artificially inflates their BMI. And frankly, their biggest health concern is a rock hard puck and opposing defensemen.

There's really no excuse for being underweight, you're most likely just underweight. eet moar

Body fat % is a better way to go about it. The only problem is that the same person can test the body fat % of another individual twice in five minutes and get just slightly different results (like, a matter of tenths of a percent). While the BMI is a mathematical formula and you could do it 9001 times and get the same result.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Now, I can't remember where I've seen this (if anybody can find me a source that either shuts me down or backs me up I'll be hella greatful) , but I am sure that being under your BMI is alot more deadly than being over it.
Being over weight is very bad that's obvious, but all articles like this are going to do is shove people into becoming underweight out of fear of being over weight and that's just as bad if not worse.

Actually, you're not far off -- earlier there was a study that had the results of people being slightly over the 'ideal' BMI as living the longest on average, with people in the ideal BMI range being next, and very overweight and very underweight people being the last as far as average life spans. However, this seems to contradict that study, which is why I posted it (for everyone going "THIS ISN'T NOOZ").

(Not sure if this other study, which is more recent than the one posted above, is contradicted by the one that opens this thread. Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people 367135)

What kind of irritates me about this article is that it doesn't go into detail about any possible factors that could have entered into altering lifespan length besides the participants' weight -- things such as poverty levels, stress levels, amount of exercise (or lack of such), diet (heavy on processed foods, not so much processed foods, or even things like dangerous dieting throughout life in an effort to lose weight, with subsequent rebound and even more weight gain), or genetic and environmental factors for certain illnesses -- things like that which can and do have an impact. "Yo-yo weight gain" isn't universally acknowledged as being worse than staying at a stable, if high, weight, but you have to wonder how many of these people experienced it throughout their lives, or if they ever took weight-loss drugs that have harmful side-effects. The only other factors they really seem to acknowledge here, other than weight and its effects, are race (all the participants were white) and not smoking.
Back to top Go down
your mom
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
your mom

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
There's really no excuse for being underweight, you're most likely just underweight. eet moar
I eat all the time, everything I want, whenever I'm hungry, and I'm still underweight. 5'7", 110 pounds. (Sometimes goes down to 107, sometimes up to 112, but the most I've ever weighed is 115.) And I don't actually like being this skinny. But I DO NOT GAIN WEIGHT. I can sit and eat an entire pack of cookies in one sitting. Nothing.

[edit] I guess that's kind of "cool story, bro", but I'm just saying, for all the times you hear "fat people should just lose weight, it's easy", I can buy that since I can't gain weight, it's probably just as hard for people with certain body types to lose it.

Last edited by your mom on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:53 pm

your mom wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I eat all the time, everything I want, whenever I'm hungry, and I'm still underweight. 5'7", 110 pounds. (Sometimes goes down to 107, sometimes up to 112, but the most I've ever weighed is 115.) And I don't actually like being this skinny. But I DO NOT GAIN WEIGHT. I can sit and eat an entire pack of cookies in one sitting. Nothing.
I know a dude with a metabolism like that, and he hates it. He works out constantly and drinks all kinds of different mass-building shakes like they're water just to maintain a lean muscular build. He's pretty strong, but nowhere near where he wants to be.
Back to top Go down
your mom
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
your mom

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Penguin wrote:
your mom wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I know a dude with a metabolism like that, and he hates it. He works out constantly and drinks all kinds of different mass-building shakes like they're water just to maintain a lean muscular build. He's pretty strong, but nowhere near where he wants to be.
I tried drinking those meal-replacement (Slim Fast, etc) shakes on top of everything else I'd normally eat for a while a couple years back, but it didn't really do anything. My doctor's never said anything to me about being underweight, and I've had 3 or 4 different ones, none of which have commented. But yeah, it does totally suck, it's probably not super healthy and I also hate looking this skinny, and I can believe that it must be just as hard for certain people with certain metabolisms to lose weight as it is for me to gain it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people   Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleasantly plump people more likely to die earlier than thinner people
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next