Why God, Why?

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:45 pm

TheHedonist wrote:
lemmingwriter wrote:
I'd give you their take on it, but their hateful little site appears to be down at the moment. What a pity that they can't serve up their intolerant, loathsome viewpoints on the internet right now. Such a pity.

Don't bother. What they think will not be constructive and your visit will help generate ad dollars for them.

Yeah, I'd tell 'em all to piss off and never bother with them again, but this is one of my research areas, so I have to stay on top of what's going on and what's getting said. I just end up scouring my browser with steel wool after every visit.
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 pm

lemmingwriter wrote:
Yeah, I'd tell 'em all to piss off and never bother with them again, but this is one of my research areas, so I have to stay on top of what's going on and what's getting said. I just end up scouring my browser with steel wool after every visit.

Ah, carry on then. And do tell what it does say when the site goes back up, I must admit I'm morbidly curious.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Judging from the 1M views most of you have probably seen this already, but just in case you haven't... (lots of lead-up throughout the video, but the money shot begins at 8:22)

Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

^ Haha, that was spectacular.
Back to top Go down
Knight
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:06 pm

TheHermit wrote:
Judging from the 1M views most of you have probably seen this already, but just in case you haven't... (lots of lead-up throughout the video, but the money shot begins at 8:22)

Isn't that nice of him keeping tally of his sins, he's saving God some work.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:23 pm

TheHedonist wrote:
lemmingwriter wrote:
I'd give you their take on it, but their hateful little site appears to be down at the moment. What a pity that they can't serve up their intolerant, loathsome viewpoints on the internet right now. Such a pity.

Don't bother. What they think will not be constructive and your visit will help generate ad dollars for them.
They're down because Anonymous hacked them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
TheHedonist wrote:
lemmingwriter wrote:

It's like one birthday present after another today! A video clip, someone smacking them down, and a new court case to teach in class tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Knight
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
TheHedonist wrote:
lemmingwriter wrote:

I'm pretty sure that beyond the message put on their site during that interview, Anonymous has done nothing to the WBC. That was the work of a fellow that goes by the name of Jester.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:43 pm

His sins are OVER 9000! Oh gawd, I can't believe he was that blatant in his mockery, and she still didn't get it.

Go Jester and anonymous! Those bitches have the right to say what they please, yes, but they also have to reap the consequences. And protesting at funerals? Earns them some ass-kicking from Internet pirates.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:46 pm

The problem is that the more people do, the more the crazy people think that they're just showing the world how awesome they are. You could hack their site and put down PUPPIES AND KITTENS ARE CUTE! in huge pink letters on the bottom, and they would find a way to make themselves into saints about it.
Back to top Go down
Knight
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:06 pm

For those curious here is a screenshot of the message Anonymous posted.
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
The problem is that the more people do, the more the crazy people think that they're just showing the world how awesome they are. You could hack their site and put down PUPPIES AND KITTENS ARE CUTE! in huge pink letters on the bottom, and they would find a way to make themselves into saints about it.

Unfortunately, that's exactly it. That's how groups with this mindset operate. Hacking, counter-protests, court battles, it all feeds into their us-and-them worldview and justifies their position. We are separate from the evils of the world, doing God's mission, and here's the world persecuting us. We are justified in hating the world, because the world continues its evils against us (and against God). They may be considered a sect, but they behave like a cult.

I strongly suspect ignoring them is the only way to make them truly go away. They feed on attention, because it justifies everything they do. America turning its collective back on them may shut them down, but the kind of shit they pull is very hard to not respond to, especially with their record of protesting funerals. But we may just need to have a total media blackout where they're concerned: no television coverage, no radio appearances, no news articles of any kind. Everyone else needs to do likewise, with no pickets, no counters, no Freedom Riders, no hacking. It'll never happen, but I hypothesize that's what it would take.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:15 pm

I think it'd be funny to let eord get out that a funeral was going to happen on a certain day and time, at a certain place, only to actually have it be agreed upon to convene at a different place at time. Then Westborotards show up to find no one to be fucktarded at.
Back to top Go down
pearlescent

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:47 am

Y'know what? They don't seem to worship God, they seem to think they ARE God.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also, in a twisted way, I sort of wanna meet them, though maybe just to not-so-twistedly-actually-justifiably spit in their faces. And to slap them with fish. [/nods]
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 am

lmfao

That was the most worthwhile 10 minute video I've ever seen (my internet sucks and runs at a top speed of 30kb/s)
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm

It's a cross between extortion and terrorism.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Barton

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:51 pm

TheHermit wrote:

I don't like her smile. It's the smile of someone who blacks out every now and then and wakes up with bloody flesh between their teeth. I don't think her beliefs even come into it, she's just been built as a crazy, scary lady.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 am

These people have Twitter.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Not that there are no nutters this side of the pond (after all we have [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], who is surely a nutters' nutter) but I'm daily glad that the WBC is the other.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm actually interested to see what will happen to the WBC when Fred dies. I know his oldest daughter has pretty much been groomed to take over his position as cult leader, but given that the only people who belong to his church are his relatives, and there's a fair amount of desertion (two of his sons and several grandchildren have jumped ship in the last 10-15 years), one wonders how well it will hold up once he's no longer there to fuel the fire.

And BTW, according to the definitions I've read, they do qualify as a cult. One of the central differences between a cult and a religion is elevating a person to a level equal with (or greater than) whatever God they worship. And Fred is definitely held in the same regard the Hebrew Children held Moses-a Prophet who's in direct contact with God and who, in fact, speaks for God, because his children are too ignorant to fully understand his wisdom. Only the Prophet truly knows what the Bible means (i.e., whatever he says it does).
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
I'm actually interested to see what will happen to the WBC when Fred dies. I know his oldest daughter has pretty much been groomed to take over his position as cult leader, but given that the only people who belong to his church are his relatives, and there's a fair amount of desertion (two of his sons and several grandchildren have jumped ship in the last 10-15 years), one wonders how well it will hold up once he's no longer there to fuel the fire.

I think as soon as the old man goes, additional kids may split, too. Shirley's not got enough charisma or name recognition to hold the group together in the public eye, and she's not scary enough, in any number of ways, to keep her siblings and other relatives from jumping ship. I think you're absolutely right--at the very least, they'll fade significantly, but an outright collapse seems likely.

Quote :
And BTW, according to the definitions I've read, they do qualify as a cult. One of the central differences between a cult and a religion is elevating a person to a level equal with (or greater than) whatever God they worship. And Fred is definitely held in the same regard the Hebrew Children held Moses-a Prophet who's in direct contact with God and who, in fact, speaks for God, because his children are too ignorant to fully understand his wisdom. Only the Prophet truly knows what the Bible means (i.e., whatever he says it does).

But even in considering him a prophet, they still hold him distinct from God. They meet a number of major points for being a cult (charismatic leader, rigidly black-and-white worldview, isolationist attitudes, etc), but they're technically a sect. They still affiliate with an established religious group (Primitive Baptists), so they're not quite a cult. If they had independent doctrines, they'd be well over the line, but unless that happens, they're still just Baptists.

But the whole cult/sect/NRM line is fuzzy as hell, so what they're classified as is irrelevant. We can just categorize them as major assholes and be happy with that.
Back to top Go down
Happyhooligan2001

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 am

Jindal threatens to 'lock up' Westboro Baptist protesters

Governor Bobby Jindal threatens to lock up protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church if they demonstrate outside the funeral of the two women who died this week in a shooting at a Lafayette theater.

"If they come here to Louisiana, if they disrupt that funeral, we are going to lock them up," Jindal said Sunday on CBS's "Face The Nation."

Way to go Bobby! The state of Louisiana may end up getting sued, after all WBC does have their lawyers. But that will all happen after the funerals. The families will get to grieve in peace without having a bunch of jackasses howling at the services.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~happyhooligan2001
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:29 am

Happyhooligan2001 wrote:
"If they come here to Louisiana, if they disrupt that funeral, we are going to lock them up," Jindal said Sunday on CBS's "Face The Nation."

Torn. Very torn. I want to see them locked up (my country won't let them in, even) but they will then claim to be martyrs to the cause.

I wish there was an 'ignore loony' button that we could press which would make them invisible to the press and media outlets.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:31 am

Added to which...this is serious necroposting. I thought this board had closed, it's been so long since I heard from it.
Back to top Go down
USERNAMEALREADYTAKKEN

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:45 am

Lexin wrote:
Added to which...this is serious necroposting. I thought this board had closed, it's been so long since I heard from it.

No shit. I tried to find the place a few weeks ago and came up with a page saying the domain was for sale. I figured this place was done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...   

Back to top Go down

Westboro Baptist Church goes stupid again...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next