Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Boring Music for Boring People

Go down 
+26
Gally
Dr. Professor Science
Quackers
Bad Luck Charm
Reepicheep-chan
Rabid Badger
Azzandra
Raine
grmblfjx
Psy-4
Just Chipper
XLT-100852.0
myeerah
Cyberwulf
Max III
Sheba
Jay/Cris
Exodia's Right Leg
Vilecat
InkWeaver
gaijinguy
TheIan
Penguin
Mr.Doobie
Loaf
EricD
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
EricD
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
EricD

Boring Music for Boring People Empty
PostSubject: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Now, where I work, we have a playlist of music that plays over our intercom all day. I'm sure many stores have something similar. Now, is it just me, or is the music you find in stores like Shopper's Drugmart, where I work, to be the most bland, mind-numbing, BORING music in the history of rhythmic noise? Stuff like "They Call Her Love", "Hey Soul Sister", "Unwritten", "Waiting On The World To Change", "Love Story" and such stuff.

Now, I'm no metalhead who needs his music to be loud and thrashing, I can appreciate a soft sound. I love classical pieces, such as the Moonlight Sonata, which have a soft sound, but this stuff is just so BLAND. If it is a quiet day at work, sometimes I even have difficulty staying awake because this music is so boring. Almost universally, these songs are generic 20-somethings singing about generic love with generic women. Generic isn't bad, necessarily, the Beatles were generic for their time (at least at the beginning of their career) and were quite good. Dear GOD though, do the people who write these songs have no passion for their own music? They must not, because their songs sound so bored.

I challenge you, WGWers, to listen to the list of songs I outlined above and try to stay interested the entire time.
Back to top Go down
Loaf

Loaf

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:06 pm

I can't listen to "Separate Ways" by Journey anymore. It was on at work constantly and reminds me of a cold day riding the bus home with a sackful of groceries, and a relationship that went horribly, horribly sour.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Quote :
the Beatles were generic for their time

Saywut?

Quote :
the Beatles were generic for their time

Quote :
the Beatles

Quote :
were generic

Quote :
for their time

i mad. But it's late, and I don't feel like royally schooling you on music right now.

Also: When I was younger, I worked at this small convenience store, where I learned that "Never Going to Give You Up" was not Rick Astley's only song.

Now that I think about it, I think whoever provided our music was just trolling us, because he also played songs like "Go Ninja" by Vanilla Ice.
Back to top Go down
EricD
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
EricD

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 10:23 pm

You didn't read my paranthetical comment. They were generic at the beginning of their career, similar to other fun 60s bands like the Beach Boys, however they really branched out and became something totally unique later on. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, but their early stuff was a little bit same-y.

At least, in my completely uneducated opinion.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:29 am

EricD wrote:
At least, in my completely uneducated opinion.

You realize that this is a polite way of saying "I don't actually know what I'm talking about," right?
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 am

All rap.

You hear one rap song, you've heard them all. The same tasteless hateful violent demeaning and arrogantly obnoxious shit over and over and over again.

And I'm not including Will Smith or Shaquille O'Neil rap, I mean every dirty gangsta hip-hop fuck-munch bullshit from Tupac to Jay-Z to whoever the fuck else is out there.

You spend a year listening to that gangsta shit blaring out of someone's dorm room window and tell me you won't say the same.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:57 am

TheIan wrote:
All rap.

You hear one rap song, you've heard them all. The same tasteless hateful violent demeaning and arrogantly obnoxious shit over and over and over again.

And I'm not including Will Smith or Shaquille O'Neil rap, I mean every dirty gangsta hip-hop fuck-munch bullshit from Tupac to Jay-Z to whoever the fuck else is out there.

You spend a year listening to that gangsta shit blaring out of someone's dorm room window and tell me you won't say the same.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Upset Angry Boring Music for Boring People 61248

Boring Music for Boring People 199471

Y'know Ian. Sometimes I feel like I'm picking on you. Than you say ignorant horseshit like this.

Quote :

Wait a second. So you're saying that Will Smith and Shaquille O'Neil rap is preferrable to, y'know, actual hip-hop acts that are critically respected and, y'know, good? Like Jay-Z and Tupac? I think I hate you.

Quote :

Than you never actually listened to rap. Hip-hop is a vast genre with many sub-categories. Gangsta rap is only one piece of it. You think all rap is militant beats and gunfire? Than you're clearly not aware of the cool jazz and ambient influenced trip-hop (as performed by acts like Massive Attack and Tricky). Than you clearly have no idea about the calm, intellectual, "hippy-hop" performed by acts like De La Soul or A Tribe Called Quest.

And you think gangsta rap is just empty-headed "funk-munch bullshit"? Have you ever read Public Enemy's lyrics?

You clearly have no clue the sheer lyrical talent and vocal dexterity that rap demands. Much less the skill that goes into beatmaking.

i madder.

Also:

Quote :
The same tasteless hateful violent demeaning and arrogantly obnoxious shit over and over and over again.

Oh, so it's like reading one of your posts? Boring Music for Boring People 723337
Back to top Go down
EricD
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
EricD

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 11:11 am

Penguin wrote:

You realize that this is a polite way of saying "I don't actually know what I'm talking about," right?

Yes, because I don't. I'm not exactly a Beatlesology major (which is a real degree you can get, by the way), I just really like their music and listen to them often. And in my humble opinion, their early music sounds similar to a lot of other bands from the early 60s.

That being said, however, generic for the 60s is still a million times better than generic now.
Back to top Go down
Loaf

Loaf

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 1:04 pm

@Mr. Doobie:

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 1:17 pm

I don't think that rap fits into the "boring music" category simply because, occasionally, Alex Trebek will read out rap lyrics as part of a question. Then it's hysterical.

Re: the muzak that retail stores play: yeah, I'm in the same boat with that one, except when for when they slip up and play those songs that are actually really fucked up if you listen to the lyrics ("every move you make/I'll be watching you. . .") It's gotten to the point where I don't even hear the music unless something catchy or really, really bad comes on.

Incidentally, is it just me, or does Martha Stewart sound really congested?
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Y'know Ian. Sometimes I feel like I'm picking on you.
Sometimes I do too, Doob.

Quote :
Than you say ignorant horseshit like this.
Sorry that my venting causes you an aneurysm. Ignorant? Maybe. I like to think all it is is just my blocking out everything that pisses me off and harshes my mellow.

Quote :
Wait a second. So you're saying that Will Smith and Shaquille O'Neil rap is preferrable to, y'know, actual hip-hop acts that are critically respected and, y'know, good? Like Jay-Z and Tupac? I think I hate you.
"Good" is a relative term. It varies between individuals with differing tastes. Obviously, my taste does not include hip-hop and R&B and gangsta rap.

Quote :
Than you never actually listened to rap. Hip-hop is a vast genre with many sub-categories.
No, you're right. I never listened to any of it. Because when I do, I am filled with a loathing of the highest degree when it's played at me and the volume is cranked full blast.

Quote :
Gangsta rap is only one piece of it.
The piece I don't like. That was probably what I failed to specify in my mindless ranting.

Quote :
You think all rap is militant beats and gunfire? Than you're clearly not aware of the cool jazz and ambient influenced trip-hop (as performed by acts like Massive Attack and Tricky). Than you clearly have no idea about the calm, intellectual, "hippy-hop" performed by acts like De La Soul or A Tribe Called Quest.
That is irrelevant and I could care less for it.

Quote :
And you think gangsta rap is just empty-headed "funk-munch bullshit"? Have you ever read Public Enemy's lyrics?
Why should I? I don't care for it enough as it is.

Quote :
You clearly have no clue the sheer lyrical talent and vocal dexterity that rap demands. Much less the skill that goes into beatmaking.
I don't recall there being much skill on Kanye's end using Harder, Better, Faster Stronger by Daft Punk.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:07 pm

TheIan wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:

Quote :
You think all rap is militant beats and gunfire? Than you're clearly not aware of the cool jazz and ambient influenced trip-hop (as performed by acts like Massive Attack and Tricky). Than you clearly have no idea about the calm, intellectual, "hippy-hop" performed by acts like De La Soul or A Tribe Called Quest.
That is irrelevant and I could care less for it
Ladies and gentlemen, the art of argument, by Ian.

I COULD CARE LESS

Could you care less, Ian? Could you?
Back to top Go down
Vilecat

Vilecat

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:18 pm

The first example that comes to mind are all the remakes of those old Christmas songs by groups that try to get as much cash from people during the holiday season. Not necessarly known singers/groups either. Unfortunately it often ends up being very bland.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:51 pm

InkWeaver wrote:
TheIan wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:

Quote :
That is irrelevant and I could care less for it
Ladies and gentlemen, the art of argument, by Ian.

I COULD CARE LESS

Could you care less, Ian? Could you?
Art of argument? I don't do argument. I lose them all the time. I'm simply addressing each point and clarifying what I oftentimes fail to think through. It's my biggest flaw, I'm trying to work through it. Piss off.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Vilecat wrote:
The first example that comes to mind are all the remakes of those old Christmas songs by groups that try to get as much cash from people during the holiday season. Not necessarly known singers/groups either. Unfortunately it often ends up being very bland.
This, my friends, is the thread winner. Christmas remix albums are the work of Satan himself, wrought in the fires of hell by a cadre of deaf and bored archdevils.
Back to top Go down
EricD
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
EricD

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Are you sure about that? Because Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten" is pretty damn shitty as well.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:43 pm

EricD wrote:
Are you sure about that? Because Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten" is pretty damn shitty as well.

I love that song! :D
What does this say about me, please tell me?
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
EricD
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
EricD

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Well, if you like Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten" then you are, statistically speaking, a white housewife in your mid-30s to early-40s.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: rap artist vocal dexterity--Eminem. He's a master at this, but essentially every song of his is about either abusing women, doing drugs, murder, or seeing the light and reinventing himself yet again ((only to slip back into the aforementioned sinnin' once more.))

Content: Shaggin' on the Boulevard is nowhere near as awesome a song as the title suggests, and having heard it for the fifty-seven thousandth time at work I now strongly wish to go back in time and strangle the artist with loops of his own bowel.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 3:01 am

Jay/Cris wrote:
EricD wrote:

It says you either frequently suffer from writer's block, or love the bit from AMV Hell 4 that used it with Death Note.
Back to top Go down
Max III
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Max III

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am

Penguin wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:
EricD wrote:

It says you either frequently suffer from writer's block, or love the bit from AMV Hell 4 that used it with Death Note.

Hey, I like that song and haven't even seen AMV Hell 4. D:

It's sort of a silly song, but I like the dumb words, and I like the tune. Granted, though, it becomes torture when it's the only thing playing, all the time.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 12:17 pm

EricD wrote:

"Pretty damn shitty" is too strong, IMO- the song's like a Hallmark greeting card with no personal note or money: no substance. There's nothing terribly offensive or wrong with the song, being about seizing the day and living life to it's fullest and all that happy horseshit, but there's nothing particularly right about it either. It just sort of exists, like flavorless chewing gum.

Now, "A Horse With No Name." That, my friends, is a damn shitty song.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 6:06 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
EricD wrote:

"Pretty damn shitty" is too strong, IMO- the song's like a Hallmark greeting card with no personal note or money: no substance. There's nothing terribly offensive or wrong with the song, being about seizing the day and living life to it's fullest and all that happy horseshit, but there's nothing particularly right about it either. It just sort of exists, like flavorless chewing gum.

Now, "A Horse With No Name." That, my friends, is a damn shitty song.
But I like America. They helped with the soundtrack for The Last Unicorn. Boring Music for Boring People 309696
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 6:26 pm

TheIan wrote:
Quote :
I don't recall there being much skill on Kanye's end using Harder, Better, Faster Stronger by Daft Punk.

...holy Christ.

I... there's so much fucking wrong with that statement, I don't even know where to begin.

For a start, do you even know why rap songs tend to be built around samples of other songs?

To continue, do you realise how ridiculous your statement is? It's like replying to a discussion about heavy metal with "Yeah, well One Step Closer by Linkin Park is just shouting." It makes you look like a tool.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:23 pm

TheIan wrote:
uneducated shit

I'm not the greatest fan of rap, hip hop, or related genres, but I fuckin' love this song.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boring Music for Boring People   Boring Music for Boring People Empty

Back to top Go down

Boring Music for Boring People
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next