Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.

Go down 
+2
Grunge
Malganis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. Empty
PostSubject: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 10:59 am

Link

Quote :
Prosecutors have charged a woman who admitted throwing a corrosive liquid on her own face with three counts of theft from people or companies acting as Good Samaritans, Clark County, Washington, officials said Monday.

A warrant has been issued for her arrest, the Clark County prosecutors' office said.

Bethany Storro "did obtain control over" at least $750 each from Michael Kite, Anytime Fitness and Safeway during the time she was promoting the story that she was attacked on August 30 by an African-American woman with an athletic build and slicked-back hair pulled into a pony tail near a Vancouver, Washington, coffee shop, according to prosecutors.

The unfortunate result of this lie was that a real woman who vaguely resembled the description of the non-existent perp went into hiding after the sketch was revealed.

Quote :
Kite is a California resident who sent Storro $1,000 via a PayPal account. Anytime Fitness is a Vancouver gym Storro belonged to and she worked at a Safeway store in Washougal, Washington. Both the gym and Safeway held fundraisers to contribute to Storro's treatment.

In Washington state, theft against a person acting as a Good Samaritan is considered an aggravating circumstance.

I hope she has to give them back the money -- sad that their generosity was taken advantage of.

Quote :
Two-and-a-half weeks after the incident -- after several community members made donations for her treatment -- police announced that the 28-year-old grocery store employee had admitted doing the damage herself.

"She is extremely upset," said police Cmdr. Marla Schuman when she made the announcement on Thursday. "She is very remorseful. In many ways it got bigger than she expected."

Stefan, the lead investigator, said his initial interviews with Storro uncovered a number of inconsistencies -- including that the chemical burns on her face appeared to have been applied and not splashed. He also learned that the alleged victim had not purchased a pair of sunglasses that night nor had she even been in the store.

Further, he wrote, he found no evidence in or around her vehicle of an acid attack and photographs of Storro's face did not match photos of other recorded acid attacks.

Storro came clean, he said, when detectives arrived at her home on September 16 to serve a search warrant.

Storro admitted buying drain cleaner at a hardware store and applying it to her face with a towel in a park restroom.

"Storro told me the reason she applied the caustic substance was to first; kill herself," Stefan wrote. "Secondly she stated, if that proved not to be fatal, then she could get her face redone."

Storro told him she "thought there would be no evidence of me doing it to myself" and that police "would give up on trying to find the person and it would be done."

A) She didn't think this thing through (yes, apparently she doesn't realize that investigators investigate things like this)

B) She obviously has severe mental issues -- perhaps that's where her extreme lack of thought regarding the outcome of this whole thing comes from. Hopefully she'll get some counseling.
Back to top Go down
Grunge

Grunge

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 1:05 pm

"Storro: And I would of gotten away with it, if it weren't for you medeling detectives and your dog......"
Probably her words after they tied her up and took off her acid burn mask.
Back to top Go down
OzymandiasBowie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
OzymandiasBowie

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 1:09 pm

I remember when this news story broke, my friends and I were utterly terrified to traipse around downtown and Esther Short Park. Locally, there are rumors going around that she did this to herself to provide a platform for her religious values. I can't substantiate that beyond saying that's whats being uttered around the community. Personally, I think it might be true, if only because we have a few very religious communities in the neighboring small towns. Young adults from those semi-rural areas end up coming to Downtown Vancouver to attend Clark or get jobs. They bring their quasi-religious fundamentalism with them.

The Columbian reported that the police officers' suspicions raised were heightened once doctors concluded there was no acid in her mouth, near her hairline, or running down her neck. Hell yes, she obviously has mental problems. I don't think it was a matter of neglecting to think things through, I think it was a matter of plainly not understanding the consequences of her actions fully because she was not mentally able.

Quote :
Schuman also said the time of day when Storro said the attack happened, 7:40 p.m., raised the question of why she would be wearing sunglasses.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Quote :
Schuman also said the time of day when Storro said the attack happened, 7:40 p.m., raised the question of why she would be wearing sunglasses.

Is is wrong of me to want to make a "I wear my sunglasses at night" joke when I read this?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Quote :
"Storro told me the reason she applied the caustic substance was to first; kill herself," Stefan wrote.

This gives me cause for suspicion, seeing as how ineffective a suicide method this is.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Quote :
"Storro told me the reason she applied the caustic substance was to first; kill herself," Stefan wrote.

This gives me cause for suspicion, seeing as how ineffective a suicide method this is.

If you want to kill yourself using caustic substances, drink Drano. It's fast AND effective.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:
Quote :

If you want to kill yourself using caustic substances, drink Drano. It's fast AND effective.

Drano + vodka FTW
Back to top Go down
OzymandiasBowie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
OzymandiasBowie

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:
Quote :

Apparently, she patted Drano on her face with a towel or similar. I highly doubt it was a suicide attempt, it was probably an attempt at proselytizing. There are a fair number of highly religious people who live in or commute to Vancouver. I don't doubt she's one of them.

Quote :
Storro said she held the press conference to draw attention to efforts to find the attacker, but also to talk about her faith. "I'm here today because of Jesus Christ," she said. The strength of her faith will allow her to move forward, Storro said, though several times she said that the attacker coming forward to admit what she had done would be an enriching part of that.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 11:07 pm

When Jesus said to go forth and tell all the world, I don't recall him saying anything about disfiguring one's face in the hopes of getting sympathy. Any people she DID manage to proselyte sure's hell aren't going to believe anything she has to say now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.   Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself. Empty

Back to top Go down

Vancouver, WA acid-attack victim revealed to have splashed herself.
Page 1 of 1