Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Huge Fire in San Bruno, California

Go down 
+13
InkWeaver
TheIan
villainy
Pierre Gringoire
Cyberwulf
Verandering
lemmingwriter
Mikey Go WOOGA
Spotts1701
Chris91
Electron Blue
tim gueguen
KelinciHutan
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

Huge Fire in San Bruno, California Empty
PostSubject: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:26 pm

San Bruno, California - Today a gas main exploded in a neighborhood and wiped out several homes. One article is estimating that at least forty-five homes were destroyed. Flames from the initial explosion were between 50 to 75 feet high, judging by the pictures, and as far as I know the fire has not yet been put out.

CNN
examiner.com

WARNING: The videos on these articles are pretty heartbreaking.

I believe this happened about ~6:30 PM, Pacific Time, the fire has been going for about two to three hours now, I believe. Between 15-20 people are being treated at area hospitals for burns. No word yet on any fatalities.

EDIT: 11:38 PM CST - After seeing some further video footage, it looks like the fire is still burning, but it also appears to be more contained and that the fire department has managed to get it under control. One fatality has been confirmed.
Back to top Go down
tim gueguen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Bad week for this kind of thing given what happened in Detroit the other day.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://timgueguen.blogspot.com
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:10 pm

And what's happening in Colorado right now. Huge-ass fire, threatening to evacuate Boulder. FFFFFUUU US what is HAPPENING?!
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:17 am

This morning, after checking around, the death toll has been elevated to six, and the reports are now saying fifty-three homes have been destroyed, according to both MercuryNews and USA Today. However, firefighters were able to put out the fire last night, so hopefully the worst of the damage is past.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:26 am

Somehow, Kel, I doubt it... No These things can always(and all too often do) get worse.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Chris91 wrote:
Somehow, Kel, I doubt it... No These things can always(and all too often do) get worse.

Yeah, since now we've found out:

1) The pipeline that ruptured was 62 years old and made of steel, which has a propensity to corrode faster than other materials.

2) Residents had been complaining for weeks about the smell of natural gas, and were advised by PG&E to "close their doors" and not worry about it.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
Chris91 wrote:

Yeah, since now we've found out:

1) The pipeline that ruptured was 62 years old and made of steel, which has a propensity to corrode faster than other materials.

2) Residents had been complaining for weeks about the smell of natural gas, and were advised by PG&E to "close their doors" and not worry about it.

Natural gas smell happens. Near an old driving range around town, it occasionally smells like a hard boiled egg fart to the point it's hard to drive past it without gagging. I've been here eight years and there's been no mushroom cloud.

Yet. Upset

Also, how is any of that going to make it worse? Fire's out, gas is off, now all that's left to do is use this clusterfuck for political advantage.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Also, how is any of that going to make it worse? Fire's out, gas is off, now all that's left to do is use this clusterfuck for political advantage.
Much as I hate to agree with Mikey, this is pretty much what I meant. While we may and quite possibly will find out about horrible oversights or carelessness that caused the fire, the damage is already done. It's not still ongoing.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:04 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Much as I hate to agree with Mikey, this is pretty much what I meant. While we may and quite possibly will find out about horrible oversights or carelessness that caused the fire, the damage is already done. It's not still ongoing.

There are a lot of steel pipelines just like this one all over California (and Nevada) - many of them the same age as the one that blew up (if not older), and considering that California is one big ol' fault line they're all accidents just waiting to happen.
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:02 am

Spotts1701 wrote:
KelinciHutan wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

There are a lot of steel pipelines just like this one all over California (and Nevada) - many of them the same age as the one that blew up (if not older), and considering that California is one big ol' fault line they're all accidents just waiting to happen.

Plus, they're saying they don't know what damage it did to other underground structures when it blew. So while they may be taking care of the gas line, there's water and sewer that need further examining. Damage to those could definitely make things worse.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Electron Blue wrote:
And what's happening in Colorado right now. Huge-ass fire, threatening to evacuate Boulder. FFFFFUUU US what is HAPPENING?!

Yes.
I've been part of the relief effort- my workplace is taking in evacuee pets and animals, and holding them while their owners live at the evacuee camps. Send them home with all the supplies they could ever need to continue caring for their pet.

Yeah

I'm important gaiz
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 5:08 am

Quote :
WHAT
Back to top Go down
Pierre Gringoire

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 3:00 pm

I smell lawsuit. A big fuckin' lawsuit.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 9:31 am

Just one? I think we can easily count on at least a half-dozen lawsuits coming out of this disaster. I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember that when a gas pipe burst in New York City a few years back there were a bunch of class-action suits filed in connection with that mess.
Back to top Go down
villainy

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:57 pm

I have to admit that I was actually a little relieved when I learned that about fifty houses had burned down, because my grandfather called up everyone last night screaming that five hundred houses had burned down.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 10:13 am

Maybe I'm just being an apathetic about all this but my first thoughts in it all is, "At least none of my relatives are in the area". My second thought is, "Oh dude! We need to get marshmallows! Big marshmallows!"

Also, the little pyromaniac in me is jizzing his pants.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:51 am

TheIan wrote:
Maybe I'm just being an apathetic about all this but my first thoughts in it all is, "At least none of my relatives are in the area". My second thought is, "Oh dude! We need to get marshmallows! Big marshmallows!"

Hey. Hey, you.

People are dead from this.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 pm

TheIan wrote:
My second thought is, "Oh dude! We need to get marshmallows! Big marshmallows!"

Huge Fire in San Bruno, California 724940

I guess it's better than...

TheIan in every fucking thread he ever appears in wrote:
What is this I don't even.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:31 pm

TheIan wrote:

Jesus, dude, did you even stop to think there might have been people you interact with on this site that have had family or friends affected by this or are you just being "edgy" to get a reaction out of people who jump at opportunities to tear into comments like that?

Like, I get you're probably trying to appeal to some 4chan mentality but off 4chan it's considered mad rude to yuk it up at something that killed people only like, a handful of days ago! There's sort a grace period for these things! Put away the salt you're trying to put in people's wounds and get your hand off your dick for a minute, alright?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
TheIan wrote:

Jesus, dude, did you even stop to think there might have been people you interact with on this site that have had family or friends affected by this or are you just being "edgy" to get a reaction out of people who jump at opportunities to tear into comments like that?

Like, I get you're probably trying to appeal to some 4chan mentality but off 4chan it's considered mad rude to yuk it up at something that killed people only like, a handful of days ago! There's sort a grace period for these things! Put away the salt you're trying to put in people's wounds and get your hand off your dick for a minute, alright?

I might have excused him if what he said was funny.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Mafiosa wrote:
TheIan wrote:

I might have excused him if what he said was funny.

I agree, instead it was just like "Hi guys, heheheh look how HARDCORE I am heh pyromania is so cool I wish I had a mental illness to excuse why I'm so devoid of social skills also I'm glad this didn't affect me time to talk about it on the internet!!!!!".
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
TheIan wrote:

MAFI!!1! Excitedplz Excitedplz Excitedplz Excitedplz Excitedplz Excitedplz Excitedplz Excitedplz
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:30 pm

shut thef uck up

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 am

TheIan wrote:

Yeah man when people die and lives are ruined from potentially avoidable calamities I too recede into my inner mental problems and boast about them to strangers on the internet. Who needs compassion and medication when you can 1-up your post count on Why God, Why
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Ian don't you have more shitty rp threads to make

go hunt some sues in your fantasy world and post about it in RP

so I can shit on it from a height
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huge Fire in San Bruno, California   Huge Fire in San Bruno, California Empty

Back to top Go down

Huge Fire in San Bruno, California
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next