Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides

Go down 
+10
Psy-4
XLT-100852.0
Sutremaine
Lady Anne
V3N0M
Bamshalam
Penguin
Malganis
KelinciHutan
Tungsten Monk
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides Empty
PostSubject: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Easier to get, no rejection risk.

Quote :
A few months ago, Dr. Thomas Einhorn was treating a patient with a
broken ankle that wouldn't heal, even with multiple surgeries. So he
sought help from the man's own body.

Einhorn drew bone marrow from the man's pelvic bone with a needle,
condensed it to about four teaspoons of rich red liquid, and injected
that into his ankle.

Four months later the ankle was healed. Einhorn, chairman of
orthopedic surgery at Boston University Medical Center, credits "adult"
stem cells in the marrow injection. He tried it because of published
research from France.

Einhorn's experience isn't a rigorous study. But it's an example of
many innovative therapies doctors are studying with adult stem cells.
Those are stem cells typically taken from bone marrow and blood - not
embryos.

For all the emotional debate that began about a decade ago on
allowing the use of embryonic stem cells, it's adult stem cells that are
in human testing today. An extensive review of stem cell projects and
interviews with two dozen experts reveal a wide range of potential
treatments.

There are still supposed to be advantages for fetal stem cells, but they seem to be mainly useful in a lab setting. Previous practical applications of fetal stem cells have been disastrous--the cells are too unstable, and may mutate into cancer.

Quote :
Adult stem cells are being studied in people who suffer from multiple
sclerosis, heart attacks and diabetes. Some early results suggest stem
cells can help some patients avoid leg amputation. Recently, researchers
reported that they restored vision to patients whose eyes were damaged
by chemicals.

Apart from these efforts, transplants of adult stem cells have
become a standard lifesaving therapy for perhaps hundreds of thousands
of people with leukemia, lymphoma and other blood diseases.

"That's really one of the great success stories of stem cell biology
that gives us all hope," says Dr. David Scadden of Harvard, who notes
stem cells are also used to grow skin grafts.

"If we can recreate that success in other tissues, what can we possibly imagine for other people?"

I definitely suggest reading the whole article. Since the cells come directly from the adult patient, the body won't reject an organ created that way. Medical science is really taking a leap forward into science-fiction territory, and it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 2:58 pm

I've heard about these. In Australia, they've been using adult stem cells to restore vision to damaged eyes. And in 2008, a doctor was treating a man for leukemia in Germany and accidentally cured his AIDS right along with his cancer!

I love hearing about these things. Every time I turn around, I hear some other new, cool thing about adult stem cells or iPS.

Last edited by KelinciHutan on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Tungsten Monk wrote:
I definitely suggest reading the whole article. Since the cells come directly from the adult patient, the body won't reject an organ created that way. Medical science is really taking a leap forward into science-fiction territory, and it's awesome.

Agreed. Anti-rejection drugs can have pretty hellish effects, so anything that can do away with them would be great. Smile

Also, this would be a great boon to people who've lost limbs or their genitals as the result of accidents or surgery. The guys over at the foreskin restoration site I'm a member of are really excited over any possible breakthroughs in tissue regeneration technology like this, since it gives potential hope to people who have suffered really disastrous losses of tissue and nerves.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Definitely. If we could manage to use a patient's own stem cells to grow a new heart, then rejection issues could be a thing of the past. It could have a huge effect on people who need new bone marrow, too, since the marrow registry is pretty thin and it's hard to find a good match. There's a lot this stuff could do. And it's all coming from willing donors, so there's much less in the way of ethical/religious issues. Hell, it's even been endorsed by the Vatican.

Thanks for the links, Kelinci! "Accidentally cured his AIDS along with his cancer" is one of the best things I've read in a long time. XD
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:58 am

Malganis wrote:
The guys over at the foreskin restoration site I'm a member of

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Penguin wrote:
Malganis wrote:

And what is it to you?

You're so completely fucking smug on this issue and so incredibly myopic when it comes to empathy for other men and how they feel about their own damn bodies, and that they wish their parents and their doctor had left them with their genitals unaltered.
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 4:46 pm

I feel like it's worth noting here that the cells in circumcised foreskins are used as feeder cells for stem cell research and procedures.
Back to top Go down
V3N0M
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
V3N0M

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:51 am

I don't like that but it's still a step up over using them as a beaut product for aging women.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:26 am

Malganis wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Malganis wrote:

And what is it to you?

You just name-dropped one of your pet issues out of the blue. It's especially jarring because out of all the very serious issues that stem cells may be able to help alleviate, you go straight to your favorite cosmetic one.

Quote :
You're so completely fucking smug on this issue and so incredibly myopic when it comes to empathy for other men and how they feel about their own damn bodies, and that they wish their parents and their doctor had left them with their genitals unaltered.
Well, yeah. On the Internet, people will make an issue out of anything and find people willing to pitch in. As long as we're getting on high horses here I find it absolutely laughable that you would try to dictate how I should feel about something that doesn't concern you, or whether I should be moved by the whining of people who have really lost nothing.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 8:06 am

Circumcision wank! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

While we're on the subject, I wonder if adult stem cells could be used to correct FGM.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 am

Lady Anne wrote:
While we're on the subject, I wonder if adult stem cells could be used to correct FGM.
Aw hell, let's go all the way with the wank fuel. How about growing genitals from scratch with the right configuration?
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:25 pm

You mean I can have an actual penis? Awwww hell yeah.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:58 pm

XLT-100852.0 wrote:
You mean I can have an actual penis? Awwww hell yeah.
Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides 203843 So you are a shitty troll parodying a feminist complete with penis envy.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Actually...given some of the other stuff they've been doing (like regrowing ovaries in women who have early menopause), that might be within the realm of possibility. It certainly wouldn't shock me.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Penguin wrote:
Malganis wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Malganis wrote:

And what is it to you?

You just name-dropped one of your pet issues out of the blue. It's especially jarring because out of all the very serious issues that stem cells may be able to help alleviate, you go straight to your favorite cosmetic one.

"Favorite cosmetic issue"? Tell that to all the people out there who suffer very serious complications from having their genitals altered against their will. I have no idea why you continue to think that cutting off part of an infant's genitals is a mere "cosmetic" alteration and is therefore nothing when in fact it is something. Like, say, the case of a three-year-old boy whose parents are suing the Mogen clamp manufacturer because their son lost his entire glans due to the clamp malfunctioning. I'd bet they'd love something that could make their son look and feel normal.

Penguin wrote:
As long as we're getting on high horses here I find it absolutely laughable that you would try to dictate how I should feel about something that doesn't concern you,

I don't care about your image of your own body. Yes, I can say that if you were circ'd as an infant, I think that what was done to you was in all likelihood objectively wrong. But if you're at peace with it and have no complaints, I'm not gonna say you should feel angry or like shit over it. Take Dan Savage as an example: both Savage and his partner are circumcised and are happy with their bodies, but they left their adopted son intact so that he could avoid circumcision-related complications and have the choice of whether to keep his foreskin or not. Their choice to not circumcise wasn't about them, it was about their son. If they never restore or never feel upset over being circ'd, that's fine. I really don't give a shit. I just respect that they didn't use their kid as a pawn in a "a boy should look like his father(s)!" ego-trip, or assume that he would be too stupid to clean his own body.

Quote :
or whether I should be moved by the whining of people who have really lost nothing.

Who the hell are you to say that another man who says that he did lose something from being circumcised when he gets better sexual sensations during/after restoration is "whining about nothing"? That just proves that you know NOTHING about restoration and NOTHING about men who have restored; if you did, then at least you could speak from a POV of actually knowing jack shit about how men who feel differently than you value their own bodies.

Last edited by Malganis on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Sutremaine wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Aw hell, let's go all the way with the wank fuel. How about growing genitals from scratch with the right configuration?
Why not? That might make life easier for transsexual individuals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant by right configuration.

...Is 'transsexual' still a word in use? The terminology gets confusing sometimes.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Sutremaine wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

I confess I'm not up to date with the science, but I though stem cells had to work with your existing DNA. If you grew the wrong equipment in the first place, I don't see your body suddenly reversing and growing the right stuff.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:24 pm

myeerah wrote:
I confess I'm not up to date with the science, but I though stem cells had to work with your existing DNA. If you grew the wrong equipment in the first place, I don't see your body suddenly reversing and growing the right stuff.

Maybe it could be used to minimize scar tissue or nerve alteration/damage from existing surgical practices, or make enlarging a clitoris to be around the size and look of a bio-penis to be a possibility? Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides 367135 It would also be cool if you could do a phalloplasty without using skin from your arm or your leg, since that skin is really not like genital skin/tissue at all.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:38 pm

myeerah wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Sutremaine wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
I'm pretty sure myeerah's right. To do this, you'd probably need induced pluripotent stem cells (which I'm calling IPS cells from now on). Those are basically cells that you can "trick" into thinking they're embryonic stem cells and then coax along into growing into the organs or tissues you want. But they don't have the grow-out-of-control-create-unkillable-tumors-and-kill-you-horribly side-effect you get with embryonic stem cells. These are the cells that they're hoping to cure Parkinson's with, if I recall correctly. But I think they're also several years away from growing whole new organs on command using IPS. We may get there and we may not. We'll see, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:32 pm

myeerah wrote:
External genitals are shaped by hormones, not DNA. Once they're formed, that's it more or less, but in the womb it's the hormones registered by the tissues that set the shape to be created. See here for an example of how average male and female genitals are opposite points on a single sliding scale.

But either way it's not going to be as simple as regrowing lost tissue. What are you supposed to do with male genitalia, chop it all off and hope that there's enough left for the stem cells to build on? Talk about being on the cutting edge of technology...
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 8:45 am

Sutremaine wrote:
myeerah wrote:
External genitals are shaped by hormones, not DNA.

Cool, thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 4:41 am

Malganis wrote:
Like, say, the case of a three-year-old boy whose parents are suing the Mogen clamp manufacturer because their son lost his entire glans due to the clamp malfunctioning. I'd bet they'd love something that could make their son look and feel normal.
You're almost getting the point. Repairing the results of a botched operation is inarguably a good thing. But that kid needs a whole glans, not a foreskin. Better foreskin restoration techniques would not bring that back or stop doctors from botching operations.

Penguin wrote:
Quote :
or whether I should be moved by the whining of people who have really lost nothing.
Who the hell are you to say that another man who says that he did lose something from being circumcised when he gets better sexual sensations during/after restoration is "whining about nothing"? That just proves that you know NOTHING about restoration and NOTHING about men who have restored; if you did, then at least you could speak from a POV of actually knowing jack shit about how men who feel differently than you value their own bodies.

Except that the effect is probably psychosematic. Really. There aren't enough nerves going through it to make a significant difference. This isn't even remotely comparable to losing the glans, which is the most sensitive part. Simply put, someone else's insecurities are their own problem. This is dealing with facts, not feelings.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:08 pm

We are not starting this wank again. Get out.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 11:07 am

Resurrecting a dead(ish) thread for more cool news . . .

Crucial information discovered which could help facilitate the use of stem cells to cure brain disorders.

Quote :
Researchers at the Center for Neuroscience Research at Children's National Medical Center have discovered that the two major types of signaling pathways activated during brain cell development -- the epidermal growth factor receptor pathway and the Notch pathway -- operate together to determine how many and which types of brain cells are created during growth and repair in developing and adult brains.

This knowledge may help scientists design new ways to induce the brain to repair itself when these signals are interrupted, and indicate a need for further research to determine whether disruptions of these pathways in early brain development could lead to common neurodevelopmental disorders such as epilepsy, cerebral palsy, autism, Down syndrome, ADHD, and intellectual disabilities.

Goddammit, we're even fixing the brain now. This is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides   Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides Empty

Back to top Go down

Adult stem cell therapy making huge strides
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next