Share | 

Tinyfandoms

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SlyChild
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

Location : Ass glued to computer chair. Haven't moved in days.

PostSubject: Tinyfandoms   Wed May 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I always seem to get sucked into books/movies that have either a very small fandom or none whatsoever. The great thing about the internet is that you get to meet up with people who like the same thing as you, so when no one else seems to share an interest, it is...frustrating. Post/whine about your microfandom here. Also: Haven't been posting for very long, so if this sort of thing is not welcome/is in the wrong section, feel free to boot me out on my ass.

My minifandom: The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Am I seriously the only one who loves these books like a lot of folks love Harry Potter?! There's hardly anyone out there to gush with.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Wed May 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Repo! The Genetic Opera has a wonderful cult following, but there is, like, no good fanfic or ANYTHING. And I love me some GraveRobber. Where is the GraveRobber love?

On the subject of Bartimaeus Trilogy: I'm gonna have to throw Artemis Fowl and Leven Thumps onto that bandwagon. (Yes I AM a sucker for tween fantasy novels, WHAT OF IT)
Back to top Go down
Princess
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Wed May 05, 2010 11:50 pm

InkWeaver wrote:
Repo! The Genetic Opera has a wonderful cult following, but there is, like, no good fanfic or ANYTHING. And I love me some GraveRobber. Where is the GraveRobber love
The Movie sucks.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Thu May 06, 2010 2:48 am

One of the first pieces of literature that I ever wanted to write fanfic for--before I ever got into Harry Potter or anime--was Philip Jose Farmer's "World of Tiers" series. The last two books kinda fell off at the end there, but I really enjoyed the series as a whole, and I love Kickaha. Plus . . . Red Orc. I see all these characters on the page and I desperately want to peer into their heads, take a look at the wiring, really try to find out what makes them tick. I'm still a huge fan of the series, but there isn't really much of a fandom to share it with, and that's half the fun. Outside of my immediate family, I've never met anyone who's read them.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Thu May 06, 2010 4:56 am

Eternal Sonata is only full of Chopin/Polka shippers, which grossly disturbs me seeing as Chopin is 39 and Polka is 14.
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 am

My cock.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Thu May 06, 2010 9:42 am

Shut up, Knorg. That's not a tiny fandom at all.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Thu May 06, 2010 10:21 am

Yeah, Knorg, at least you have your mom in on that fandom. Some of us are not even half that lucky!
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 am

SlyChild wrote:
My minifandom: The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Am I seriously the only one who loves these books like a lot of folks love Harry Potter?! There's hardly anyone out there to gush with. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My problem with that is the lack of Bartimaeus. The first book was unadulterated awesome. The second book...was still good, but needed more Bartimaeus. The third book, well, I saw the end coming before I was halfway through. Stroud just kind of dropped the ball. On a related note, you might enjoy Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. I couldn't finish the second book due to horrible boredom, but the first book filled me with glee.

My bitty fandoms: Gabriel Knight, Vagrant Story, and Jak and Daxter. I love books with a burning love, but I don't get into their fandoms. Games, on the other hand, are perfect fandom fodder for me, leaving so much more room for interpretation and fleshing-out than any book worthy of reading could possibly do.

The Gabriel Knight trilogy were (arguably) the pinnacle of adventure games in the '90s. The first two pushed the boundaries of the technology at the time, the VA was incredibly professional (the first featured Tim Curry, Mark Hamill, and Michael Dorn, to name a few), and the plots were richly detailed and saturated with history. The best thing, though, from my perspective, is the wonderful use of anti-villains.

The first game, Sins of the Father, was about a series of murders in New Orleans and had a massive amount of information about the history of voodoo. The titular Gabriel, aspiring writer and bookstore owner, finds out about his own history and why his dreams have been haunted his entire life while getting closer to the source of the murders and falling in love with an unlikely woman.

The second game, The Beast Within, was probably the only one to make effective use of live action actors that pervaded games in the mid-nineties. Set in and around Munich, Gabriel is called on to find who—or what—killed a little girl, and is drawn deeply into the world of the werewolf. The historical aspect comes from Ludwig II and his enchantment with Richard Wagner, and the game culminates with a performance of Wagner's "lost opera."

The third game, Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, was in many ways a disappointment. The vampire aspect appeared to have been tossed in at the last moment, you could peg the bad guy from the first introduction, and the graphics were moderately atrocious, even if the backgrounds were stunning. Most of that can be attributed to the fact that Sierra/Vivendi told the development team that they were all fired when they were done, as well as creating their own engine to run it rather than use an existing one. What it did right, though, it did right. The history of the French town of Rennes-le-Château permeates the entire game, (most of) the puzzles are wonderful creations, and the personal plot of Gabriel's life made fans squee with pained joy.

Vagrant Story is a weird little piece, an old Square game that's part of the Ivalice Alliance, but not nearly as well known as its Final Fantasy compatriots. It's a massive dungeon crawl through a gorgeous (by PSX standards), immersive environment, with a deliberately vauge story. Ashley Riot is the sole playable character, the translation is Shakespearean in flavor (which matches with the Shakespearean names of various NPCs), and the history and ending require a great deal of "what do you think happened?" Sydney Losstarot is quite probably the best enemy/ally I've ever seen in any medium, and if I were ever to get a tattoo, I'd probably get his Rood Inverse.

The Jak and Daxter series is pure crack, and I love it. The first game was a pure platformer, the second went Darker and Edgier and added guns, and the third picked up canon, strung it up like a pinata, and smacked it until candy fell out. The forth game seems to have taken the broken shards of pinata and run them through a blender. Still, though, I love the crackiness of it. The games swing wildly between violent and vicious and forth-wall-breaking slapstick. The fandom, while small, is still larger than the other two I mentioned, and is dominated by Mary Sue bamf-fics, which makes me incredibly sad and increasingly frustrated.

Last edited by myeerah on Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed screwy links)
Back to top Go down
Princess
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 am

The Deathlands series.

Yes, I know all the protagonists are basically Gary Stues/Mary Stus, and the plots are all kinda samey, but I like the post-apocalyptic setting. In fact, I would love to see a Fallout/Deathlands crossover. The two would probably fit together fairly well.
Back to top Go down
Mendo

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Wed May 12, 2010 5:44 am

Princess wrote:
InkWeaver wrote:
Repo! The Genetic Opera has a wonderful cult following, but there is, like, no good fanfic or ANYTHING. And I love me some GraveRobber. Where is the GraveRobber love
The Movie sucks.

Thanks! Always glad to see my work appreciated...
Back to top Go down
agent_squeaks

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:39 pm

My tiny!fandoms:

Cowboys & Angels [the 2004 indie Irish film] four fics and one shipping manifesto in existence. 2 fics and the manifesto? All written by me.
None of the fics are long [or finished for that matter].

King of the Hill fanfiction especially Hank/Bill fanfiction that starts when they're in high school [as far as I know, I'm the only one writing any].

Ugly Americans [Comedy Central's new show]: two pieces on DeviantArt and one collection of fanfic-the fanfic having been written by myself.

Morgantown [book 2 of the Difficulty at the Beginning quadrilogy ]: the only piece of fanfiction I've had to write.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Why is this in Subcultures? Seems more like fanfic discussion or maybe antidotes to me.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:01 am

Monster Hunter International.
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Apologies for necroposting (and/or hijacking) but can I just bitch about cliquey fandoms for a moment? I suppose it's a problem for any size fandom, but it's much harder to avoid in tiny fandoms. You know the group who always feedback and rec each other (no matter how shitty the fic actually is) but anyone not part of the "in crowd" may as well be invisible.

But seriously, who the fuck posts to a friending meme and says "I'm happy with my friends list just the way it is at the moment." Really? Then why, pray tell, are you posting to a fucking friending meme?!
Back to top Go down
VampireNaomi

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:53 am

myeerah wrote:
The second game, The Beast Within, was probably the only one to make effective use of live action actors that pervaded games in the mid-nineties. Set in and around Munich, Gabriel is called on to find who—or what—killed a little girl, and is drawn deeply into the world of the werewolf. The historical aspect comes from Ludwig II and his enchantment with Richard Wagner, and the game culminates with a performance of Wagner's "lost opera."

A friend of mine is currently writing an "everyone gets a happy ending" AU of the second game. Last time I asked, she had reached 30,000 words, and the snippets she has let me see have been great so far. She's posting a rough draft on her LJ and will probably clean it up and post it at FF.Net when it's done. If you're interested, the first chapter is here.

As for my tiny fandoms, right now I'm really into Kaiketsu Zorro, which is a 90s anime adaptation of Zorro. The series has never been properly released in English (only as a "movie" that consists of random scenes from various episodes), so there isn't much of an English fandom. I briefly talked with a German fan who wrote two slash one-shots and another fan from the Philippines, but other than that, it seems that it's entirely up to me to provide English fics for this series. I don't mind too much because I've always liked to play in small sandboxes, but it would be fun if it had just a tad more fans.
Back to top Go down
moonpie

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Am I the only person that watched Middleman when it was on ABC Family during Summer '08? It was a weird but awesome comedy series by Javier Grillo-Marxuach about a comic bookish crime fighting duo. I've been watching the boxed set and was wondering if anyone else was into it.
Back to top Go down
Gamma Vector

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:16 am

From Far Away

Yes, I know it's got its faults - the occasional moment of "What Were You Smoking, Author" and one or two times where I had to cringe at the powah of twuuuu roooooove - but overall this is a damn good series! It's one of the very, very, VERY few series that actually do "girl falls into alternate fantasy world" RIGHT. As in, language barriers, culture shock (of the kind that can actually come back and bite you in the ass) and a heroine who actually comes off as a real girl. Noriko's not superwoman, but neither is she entirely helpless. She does whatever she can do to make the best of things, and eventually does learn her way around. She's never whiney, but she does have issues occasionally from the sheer stress of her situation (and frankly, being stuck in a foreign world with no way to even make contact with your home and the people there would be a horrible, horrible thin to endure, IMO.) The romance, while a little facepalmy at a couple of key points, is in general very sweet and WAFFy.

It's not anything life-changing, but when you want some well-drawn, well-written fantasy with a nice side-dish of reasonably well-written and completely adorable romance, you'll find nothing better.
It's the kind of series that reminds me why I occasionally pick up a shoujo book.

Sadly, the fandom seems to have had about 15 people in it at its peak. That was a decade ago. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on Earth who's currently interested in this wonderful little gem, and I'm more than late to the game
Back to top Go down
Gally

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Well..."The Fifth Element" has a small but cult-ish following...I am a huge fan though, I don't care how imperfect the film is, or how much anyone thinks Chris Tucker sucks. I know a few people who are huge fans too, but not many.

Also, "Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita)" by Yukito Kishiro. I have loved it for years and I think the OVAs and original 9 books are classics. BAA: Last Order is fine, but it doesn't fill my needs quite like the original did. But I never hear many speak of it when talking anime/manga. And Gunnm is the only manga I read.
Back to top Go down
Alhazred
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 pm

People think Ruby Rhod sucks? Are they stupid?

To this day it makes me sad that Fifth Element flew over the heads of so many people. I've yet to see someone hate it for reasons other than trying to take it seriously. I suppose most of the blame for that goes to the old trailers originally pitching it as more of a drama, but still.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:02 pm

Gamma Vector wrote:
From Far Away

You are not alone! Now this unnappreciated gem has TWO loyal fans!
Back to top Go down
Da_Nuke

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:22 pm

The Witchblade anime.

Nobody seems to know it. The threads on MAL are fucking empty. Only 8000 people have watched it compared to 47000 that have watched K-ON!. I can't imagine how insanely difficult it will be to find someone who has written a good fanfic...
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Da_Nuke wrote:
The Witchblade anime.
I... kinda saw two episodes of that, a while ago, over my brother's shoulder. (He is really, really into anime.)
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Da_Nuke wrote:
The Witchblade anime.

Nobody seems to know it. The threads on MAL are fucking empty. Only 8000 people have watched it compared to 47000 that have watched K-ON!. I can't imagine how insanely difficult it will be to find someone who has written a good fanfic...

I saw a few episodes of it a while ago, but I just couldn't get into it. =/
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Friday Night Lights. Granted, it has a bigger fandom than some here, but nothing compared to things like Harry Potter or any form of Twilight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tinyfandoms   

Back to top Go down

Tinyfandoms
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: GodAwful Bullshit-
Jump to: