Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux

Go down 
+135
ViewSonic
Dixie
Snake Bandage
PendragonGirl
Saleha
knightwithoutacause
Ghost in the Machine
myeerah
Knorg
Yattara
rachel
Beregond5
lemmingwriter
Freezer
Salamas
Mouse
rae
Anon
bleachedblackcat
Nihilist
Howithurts
Kommandar
Rageful Jewel
Quijotesca
William Shakespeare
Owlish
littledorrit
Azzandra
grmblfjx
Electron Blue
4shadowedice4
fapfapfap
GamemasterAnthony
TheHermit
neko mata
Shubby the Lurkette
Notanoni
EricD
TheHedonist
Mugg
CaptainMcNeil
Braigwen
Somath Cegem
Adagio
Max III
Lexin
I_Lam_Edhellen
The Scientist
WD40
Ozymandias
Mr.Doobie
TheIan
Vilecat
pirategrrl
Tungsten Monk
KJM
XLT-100852.0
Lembech
Reidmar
Dr. Quinzel
kleine_kat
Ihdreniel
Reepicheep-chan
Sutremaine
ZoZo
Jay/Cris
Notomys mordax
Twonky
Sheba
Exodia's Right Leg
unskilled78
Lurv
tim gueguen
Deutschtard
Bashful
Dick Powers
Mikey Go WOOGA
gaijinguy
Cactus Wren
Aggie
Trioculus
Malganis
T.S.Orr
Generic Thirteen
Waffles
DarthDarthington
Rabid Badger
saeku
Keith Fraser
Melissa
Lady Anne
Chaltab
theweirdkind
Hot Cancer
Pierre Gringoire
Cyberwulf
Maximilia
Sparrow
Narwhal
Penguin
Alhazred
Sakurelf
Mae Bedlam
KGarrett
EileenK98
Miss Prince
slaughter_all
A_Note_Chaotic
Sisco
Dr. Professor Science
Bast
Bamshalam
fishstickhater
Lapin
Kirby
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Fitchsticks
NastyHobbitses
Drabbler
InkWeaver
Animir
lovedless
Mafiosa
SokMunkie
Spotts1701
Delcat
anangrychocobo
Raine
Mr. Comic Book
Kremlin
Ceres
KelinciHutan
Miraba
Chris91
Lysander
139 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35
AuthorMessage
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:22 am

I took my niece and nephew (both age 4) to see Turbo. They liked it so much that when I brought them home, they wanted to look for real snails in the garden to play with. (I told them no. Snails may be pests, but there's no reason to torture them.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 7:38 am

High Rise, a book by JG Ballard is to be made into a movie.

From the Independent.

I just can't see it working.  For a start, the book is totally unbelievable.  The story is of a tower block and the people who move into it.  There is everything everyone needs, shops, hairdressers, a school, gyms, etc., so no-one needs to leave, except for work.  The apartment owners all have a share in the building so it's a self-run society.  The top third are owned by the richest and have express elevators, the bottom third are owned by the poorest, (comparatively) and the middle, by the middle.  The middle and poor have the slow elevators. Everyone is professional class in order to afford to live there. So there are no real poor people.

In the space of three months, this leads to a total breakdown of society. As things in the building break down people become savages.  Running battles happen every night, then people get up and go to work during the day.  Soon, most people don't go to work.  The shops close, the school closes and people rampage.  It is meant to be a satire, presumably of class warfare or the thin veneer of civilisation, but it's not insightful, it's not funny, credible or interesting.

Firstly, although this is supposed to be a science fiction book, there is no science in it.  It's just Lord of the Flies in a tower bock.  There were tower blocks in 1975 when the book was published and have been ever since.  There has been no noticeable cases of running battles and cannibalism in them.  You could, I suppose, set it in the recent past, but it would look as dated and irrelevant as the book reads.  You could try to set it now, but how could you posit a closed society in a world with camera phones and the Internet?  With CCTV and twenty-four hour news?

Then there's the plain silly plot.  Once the rubbish chutes are blocked, people throw their rubbish out the windows.  People are even thrown off the roof of the building.  There's no reaction from the outside world.  Once, the police show up, but are reassured by a few residents and go away.  These people have no friends, or relatives, fail to show for work but no-one checks on them.  The building is surrounded by ton's of rotting trash but no neighbours complain.  The people thrown off the roof aren't ever mentioned as being taken for burial, so you assume that nobody notices the rotting corpses.  It's all so damn daft.  These people are starving, resorting to cannibalism and eating domestic pets.  There is no food and no water, but still the people won't leave.

But the main reason this film will suck, unless the plot is basically thrown away, is the women in the book.  None of them have the slightest sign of character, or a backbone.  Even those we are told are strong turn out not to be.  With all the violence and endemic sexual assaults/rapes, not one of them just gets the hell out of the building.  They just do as they are told by men.  They are all stupid, weak versions of the perfect nineteen fifties housewife.  'Yes, dear.  Whatever you say dear.'  Women aren't (thank the fates), like that anymore.  I really don't think they ever were.

The book is meant to be a dystopia, but really it's just a white male's utopia.  A wish fulfillment fantasy, where big strong man wins and women are there to serve them.  All three of the books protagonists are men, so woman are only seen through male eyes.  Since the men are written as emotionless, except for lust, (for violence or women.  Sometimes both), the women are ciphers of ciphers.  Even Dr Robert Laing, the character with whom we are supposed to identify, ends up planning to drug women with morphine so they will be addicted and won't leave him.

I can't see this movie being anything but shite.  All I know is that I'm not going to pay my money to see a film based on a book which uses this line:-

From the book wrote:
Mrs Wilder stood passively with her tray, unaware of Royal fondling her, partly because she had been molested by so many men during the past months, but also because the sexual assault itself had ceased to have any meaning.

Yeah, when women are raped enough times, it doesn't matter anymore. Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 556166   High Rise has a good director in Ben Wheatley and a bankable lead in Tom Hiddleston, but no amount of gold spray paint or rhinestones is gonna hide this misogynistic turd.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Holy hell, TOM HIDDLESTON is going to be in that shitpile? Jesus, I wonder if he knows all the awful stuff in it...
Back to top Go down
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:12 am

He knows.

Variety Online

From the article wrote:
Hiddleston added: “I can’t wait to work with Ben. He is one of the most inspired directors in the U.K., and he brings with him impeccable taste, courage, wit and singular brilliance: the perfect combination to realize the ambition of J.G. Ballard’s unique vision.”

For a man who, in the March 2014 edition of Elle magazine says of women:

From Elle. wrote:
Growing up surrounded by women has had a glorious effect on his view of them. "I believe in the strength and intelligence and sensitivity of women.  My mother, my sisters (they) are strong. My Mum is a strong woman and I love her for it.

...and...

From Elle. wrote:
"I was somethines quite alarmed by friends of mine at school who didn't have sisters, the way they treated girls, the way they spoke about them... I was like 'Guys, they're not aliens, they're human beings."

This is the guy who is to play the lead character who ends up keeping his sister on the edge of starving and drugging her in order to have incest with her.

Hiddleston has really gone down in my eyes.  Either the script, which is being adapted by a woman, is far removed from the shoddy misogyny of the book, or he's all pap and no play.  I guess only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 am

Summercorn wrote:
Either the script, which is being adapted by a woman, is far removed from the shoddy misogyny of the book...
To be fair, this is pretty much what happened with American Psycho.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 5:26 pm

bahahah fucking Walter Mitty

I read that in school it's a fucking short story about a dude who daydreams YEAH LET'S STRETCH THAT OUT OVER TWO HOURS

Non-Stop looks like it's going to be total garbage, but Liam Neeson is in it, so off to the pictures I go.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 4:17 am

I think I heard of High Rise, when it was a Doctor Who episode titled Paradise Towers and had jack-all to do with rape and misogyny. It's probably, to date, one of my favorite Seventh Doctor episodes.
Back to top Go down
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 am

TheIan wrote:
I think I heard of High Rise, when it was a Doctor Who episode titled Paradise Towers and had jack-all to do with rape and misogyny. It's probably, to date, one of my favorite Seventh Doctor episodes.

Yeah, Paradise Towers was based, partly, on High Rise. I find it heartening. If Dr. Who can turn the idea into something worth seeing, maybe the film can too. Personally, I still don't want to see it, but maybe it won't be a total pile.
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 9:27 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
bahahah fucking Walter Mitty

I read that in school it's a fucking short story about a dude who daydreams YEAH LET'S STRETCH THAT OUT OVER TWO HOURS

It's a remake to boot, and Ben Stiller is no Danny Kaye.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 1:28 pm

The 1947 movie wasn't bad, either. All signs point to the Stiller remake being awful.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 9:17 am

Penguin wrote:
The 1947 movie wasn't bad, either. All signs point to the Stiller remake being awful.

First indication: Ben Stiller is in it.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 1:07 am

cornhole wrote:
I just can't see it working.  For a start, the book is totally unbelievable.  The story is of a tower block and the people who move into it.  There is everything everyone needs, shops, hairdressers, a school, gyms, etc., so no-one needs to leave, except for work.  The apartment owners all have a share in the building so it's a self-run society.  The top third are owned by the richest and have express elevators, the bottom third are owned by the poorest, (comparatively) and the middle, by the middle.  The middle and poor have the slow elevators. Everyone is professional class in order to afford to live there. So there are no real poor people.

Jesus Christ I bet you're one of those people that complains that fantasy books never explain how dragons breath fire holy crap

I mean I don't doubt it's a rubbish book and all but c'mon now

Wulfie wrote:
Non-Stop looks like it's going to be total garbage, but Liam Neeson is in it, so off to the pictures I go.

I dunno I would probably like an action movie taking place in a crashing airplane if they do it really over the top and wild like Crank

Also so since I flew above and beyond The Worst Movie Theater in Philadelphia (TM) I haven't been able to keep up with what movies are coming out when but I think I found a real winner...

drinking games ahoy! I'm thinking finish your drink when Duck Dynasty dude appears, drink every time strawman college professor quotes something, finish your drink when kids class no doubt applauds him at the end, and finish your drink then smash the container over your head when the kid asks the goofy non-question "why do you hate god" and the film treats it with the utmost gravity like it means... something

jesus christ
Back to top Go down
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:02 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
cornhole wrote:

Jesus Christ I bet you're one of those people that complains that fantasy books never explain how dragons breath fire holy crap

I mean I don't doubt it's a rubbish book and all but c'mon now

I don't know where that came from, but no, I don't complain about how dragons breathe fire in fantasy books. Fantasy worlds are just that. High Rise might be a satire, but it's firmly set in the world we know. It's a tower block in the Isle of Dogs, London. Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 367135 
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Because if your first complaint about a didactic scifi satire is that its premise is a bit of a stretch you are missing the point

I mean c'mon, the kids survived the plane crash in Lord of the Flies? Call the literacy police weeewoooweeeeeewoooooooo
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 pm

plane crashes are quite survivable if the pilot can make any kind of controlled landing
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:30 pm

I would still say the premise of Lord of the Flies is a big stretch not just because of the plane crash (though the kids surviving without a single adult also being so lucky is still pushing it) but like I said it's kind of besides the point

cornhole wrote:
The book is meant to be a dystopia, but really it's just a white male's utopia.

Also is there just no difference between someone writing misogynistic characters in a misogynistic world and a writer actively promoting misogyny?

Cuz this seems like a story where "sympathize with" is by design rather strong words to use on any of the characters. I mean, yeah violence against women has become the de facto way for lazy writers to get across their big point that things are shitty and that's mad problematic but I would hardly call anything that you described a white male's utopia.

Unless the white male in question is GG Allin...
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cunovendus

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:

Also is there just no difference between someone writing misogynistic characters in a misogynistic world and a writer actively promoting misogyny?

Actually this is a good point. I haven't read the book so I can't verify this, but it sounds like the author could just as easily be trying to portray a world that shows the uglier side of the male of the species. It doesn't necessarily mean he fantasises about it, or even supports the idea...maybe he's simply trying to show the possible outcome of what might happen if men are allowed to regress to a primal state in such close proximity with women. Dystopia does, after all, generally indicate that it's not supposed to be pleasant.

Oh, and: a new Noah's Ark film? Seriously? With a white cast, and a Noah played by Russel Crowe, the master of accents...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
plane crashes are quite survivable if the pilot can make any kind of controlled landing

He didn't, though---he ejected and got strangled on his parachute's cords when it caught on a tree. His dangling body is what the kids called the green monster.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 9:20 pm

^
What are you people talking about. The kids got stranded after a school bus wreck. The monster was Milhouse seeing blurry without his glasses.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 am

Sheba wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

He didn't, though---he ejected and got strangled on his parachute's cords when it caught on a tree. His dangling body is what the kids called the green monster.

Actually, that was a different pilot, from a battle that took place above the island. The kids call it the beast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 am

That High Rise really sounds stupid and contrived. Even a satire shouldn't have an idiot plot. The only way I can see the movie being good is if they gut the premise and make it different. Maybe the front door will have bomb-proof high-tech security which then malfunctions and lets no one pass, and there are no other entrances because the building was made for people paranoid about security. That's still pretty contrived, but at least the idiot factor is far lesser. I see that on the movie poster there are windows only on the upper third of the building...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux   Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux - Page 35 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movies That are Going to Suck: Part Deux
Page 35 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35