Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Raine wrote:
Snake Bandage wrote:
Pokemon: Best Wishes is shit. It's a bigger pile of rehashed fucked up shit than Pokemon Diamond and Pearl was. If DP took the plot and ran it through a paper shredder every seven episodes, then BW took the characters and ran over them with a fucking bulldozer.

Just wanted to throw it in there.

*bitter*

What? Noooo... forget about Ash being an idiot (is it just me, or does Pikachu job now?), and focus more on Team Rocket. For the past few years I've believed the only thing Team Rocket really needed was a decent meal, some funding from the boss, and to get rid of Wobbuffet in order to become competent again. AND HELL YES, IT FINALLY HAPPENED.

Actually, that's my problem with the new season. They took the silly, goofy TR I like and sucked the soul and fun out of them. I know I'm in the minority, but I never, ever wanted them to be competent in the first place.

I feel like I was robbed of my favorite characters.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Snake Bandage wrote:
Actually, that's my problem with the new season. They took the silly, goofy TR I like and sucked the soul and fun out of them. I know I'm in the minority, but I never, ever wanted them to be competent in the first place.

I feel like I was robbed of my favorite characters.

That's true, I do kinda miss goofy TR (it has always amused me that they're so good at selling crap). For now I'm loving the new TR, but in reality I give it only a little while longer until they're sorta back to their old ways.
Back to top Go down
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 pm

kleine_kat wrote:
Observed wrote:
Orihime wrote:
Lurv wrote:
Orihime wrote:
I'll have people wanting my head on a platter... but I couldn't stand Elfen Lied.
Why would people want your head on a platter for that?

"Omg, this anime is so original because that moe-shit character that appears in the beginning, is killed." Nevermind that the heroine herself is a moe-shit when she isn't being all lol edgy~ (murdering people).

Because many Elfen Lied fans are borderline psycho in their defenses of Lucy? Okay, so the kids in the orphanage were huge assholes, but there's NOT fucking excuse for her killing Kouta's dad and little sister in cold blood just because she got jealous that he was going to a festival with a girl and not with a boy like he said he would. And yet I've seen EL fans call the little sister "a bitch who deserves what she got" or stuff like that. I mean, the series paints humans as pretty much cartoonishingly evil villains that you can't take seriously, but wtf.

Elfen Lied always struck me more as a kind of everyone is a douche or a murderer type of universe. The kids at the orphanage were, Kouta was, Lucy was.... I'm sure that fans defend Lucy because she is one of the Protagonists and is therefore somehow sympathetic. To be honest I mostly watched it for the Lucy kills everyone scenes, the Nyuu scenes were, while emotionally gripping in some way, fairly long winded. Well in my opinion anyways.

I stopped watching Elfen Lied after three episodes because it made me feel high uncomfortable.
Oh, let me help you with those panties, girl. Just RAISE YOUR LEGS SO I CAN LOOK INTO YOUR CROTCH AND I"LL SLIP THEM RIGHT ON. Oh no, my girlfriend comes by and totally gets the wrong idea.

Also, this show suffers from the Samurai Deeper Kyo (another terrible show, by the way) problem, and that is that Lucy and Nyuu are not at all drawn like the same person. Nyuu has those great round eyes and a tiny chin, while Lucy has slanted eyes and a larger chin. Now I now that expression can change someone, but come on, looking murderous doesn't rebuild your entire facial structure.
Oh, goodness, this one. My anime club has a "Top Ten Anime!" thread on our forum, and someone posted Elfen Lied as their number 1. I was sleep deprived and quite grouchy, and wrote the following rant:

I'm a feminist. That being said, I know that this show was definitely not aimed at me. It was aimed at heterosexual teenage boys who don't know why girls don't like them, and wish naked chicks would just pop up out of nowhere and like them. But sexy girls don't/won't like them. So, the only way around this is make the sexy naked chicks braindead. Knowing that it hits my feminist rant buttons, I avoid this genre like the plague.

But, I didn't go into this show blindly. I saw the previews, I read some reviews. It didn't look like naive teenage-boy fodder. It was more like a horror/sci-fi thriller, and that is my personal favorite genre of all time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This explains my fierce reaction, I think. I felt cheated. I was promised pure gory sci-fi fun and got a twisted "romance" story that hit almost all of my squicks. The sci-fi thriller stuff was hardly in there at all, taking up roughly 10% of the series.

Now, if you haven't figured it out already, I shall demonstrate why the "romance" was so utterly repulsive.

There were two love interests. That, I have no problem with. Who they were, on the otherhand...

Love interest #1 is the main character's cousin. I know that this is a cross cultural thing, but incest is just... ew.

The other is apparently a severely brain-damaged woman who can barely speak and can't even dress herself. From the way she is posed and continually falls into "hilarious" compromising poses with the male lead, to her cutesty catchphrase "Nyuuu!" (Japanese version of "meow", BTW) it's obvious that we're supposed to find her cute and sexy.

Let's rephrase that. We're expected to find a woman with severe brain damage who needs 24-hour care cute and sexy. We're being told, "You want to have sex with a helpless person who is depending on you." THAT IS RAPE.

It's all made worse by what was done to her before she escaped. Yeah, rape an abuse victim. Don't that make you hot?

There are other problems: horrible voice-acting in both the English and Japanese versions. They purposely chose the most grating, annoying voices possible for the Nyuuu!girl. The quality of the animation goes down sharply after the opening scene of the first episode.

The only reason I made it to the end was because the opening theme song is pure cocaine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
knightwithoutacause
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm sorry to necro this thread, but I just watched Kyoshiro to Towa No Sora. The main characters are so unlikeable. Kyoshiro is an absolute asshole who wants to kill all Absolute Angels...WHILE HE HAS ONE DOING HIS BIDDING. Sure, he changes his tune later for TWU LUB! That doesn't cut it for me. The main female character would write "Dear Prince, I hope this finds you well" at the beginning of every episode. Not only that, but she would then write a new letter for the Prince every time something happened. I know what happened because I watched it, I don't need you to fucking then tell me what happened!

Honestly, I haven't watched it all of the way through since I'm hammered from the drinking game we played with the first few episodes.
Back to top Go down
CaptainMcNeil
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Maiden Rose.

I liked Klaus...then I figured out he was a rapist. And Taki, being the helpless coward he is, despite commanding an army at the ripe old age of 20, when given the chance to get rid of his rapist, lets him live. Out of love. Klaus is so rough during sex he actually makes Taki pass out and bleed so much that he has to see a doctor, who of course doesn't kill Klaus either. He has several oppertunities to kill Klaus, and I know if I was in Taki's position Klaus would be suffering in agony before I killed him.

TWU WUV =/= rape.

At leas the men actually look like men., and the OVA animation is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Fri May 31, 2013 8:09 am

Damn, Panty and Stocking was already mentioned. Here's two more:

What a can of worms this is, but Code Geass is a fourth rate show with poor animation, boring plot, and a completely irritating hero. Lelouch is supposed to be OMG SMAAART but he can't do anything! He couldn't stop Zero Requiem, could he?

And then there is Rozen Maiden. Nothing much to say there, except DESU
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Fri May 31, 2013 1:39 pm

Right now my friends are really into Attack on Titan and I can kinda see why but the main boy is just such an annoying little shit and oh my god you're really telling me his sister is the only one who can do anything but piss herself and cry?

I'm certain my opinion is just awfully biased, and I'm equally certain it was the main boy that really did it in for me. I know...

Spoiler:

But really..... He was just..... such a twerp.... I'm finding it hard to get over his twerpiness.

Edhellen wrote:
Elfen Lied

I know this is old, but I actually finally got around to watching this sometime in October (as shown by my avatar) and I liked the show. It had a pretty cool concept and some neat ideas that were executed clumsily. I've heard the manga is better in this respect.

But yeah, overall I found the comic relief with Nyu a teeth-grinder. I really had zero interest in Kouta. I was actually mostly bothered by Nana. I thought her character actually had some potential for interesting development and I thought Lucy and Nana should've just ditched the humans to go have Awesome Adventures that would've explored Lucy's relationship with her own humanity and Nana's struggle with being an utter emotional cripple and she was made that way BECAUSE of the Papa she loves so much but no we're going to focus on the crappy, forced love-triangle and Nana is just going to be all "lol her arm fell off AGAIN". We're only exploring Lucy's humanity in relation to her forced devotion to this irritating boy.

Really, I think I liked the show more for what it could've been if they would've went full on sci-fi/horror. It seemed like the creators just didn't know what they wanted to do with the show and so kind of ended up with this strange, fluffy rom-com.

It was total fluff and it was offensive but it really didn't have to be.

I count it as a guilty pleasure because I do like the diclonii in general and I like bloody psychic evisceration.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Right now my friends are really into Attack on Titan and I can kinda see why but the main boy is just such an annoying little shit and oh my god you're really telling me his sister is the only one who can do anything but piss herself and cry?

I'm certain my opinion is just awfully biased, and I'm equally certain it was the main boy that really did it in for me. I know...

Spoiler:

But really..... He was just..... such a twerp.... I'm finding it hard to get over his twerpiness.

I think you are mixing up twerpiness with rage fueled overconfidence clashing with frustration at his powerlessness, which given the circumstances of his world and his life so far, yeah, makes perfect sense.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 pm

I never said I was being fair. And there are a lot of characters in that anime in desperate straits and the rest of them don't have a habit of constantly reminding me of those little boys I have to kick out of the movie theater every day because they're trying to sneak into rated R movies while they scream about how their mommies let them watch boobies on the internet all the time.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
I never said I was being fair. And there are a lot of characters in that anime in desperate straits and the rest of them don't have a habit of constantly reminding me of those little boys I have to kick out of the movie theater every day because they're trying to sneak into rated R movies while they scream about how their mommies let them watch boobies on the internet all the time.

No, most of them have either never come across a Titan before or have done so and have their own mental scars, like Armen thinking he's useless (even though he's the best thinker)and Misaka being completely shut off and suicidally attached to Eren, something that the original Titan attack compounded.
Then later you have Jean and his self loathing after having to make hard choices, and Sasha who after one encounter attempts fake crippling stomach pains to escape fighting Titans again.
It's just that Eren gets a bit shouty and intense with his issues that you judge him for, the rest suffer silently so you don't.

(Also, A snub nosed Magnum Revolver, Because your Sig is the dumb)
Back to top Go down
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 am

Kikoushi Enma

You know you're in for something special when the story opens with a serial killer chasing a woman, and you wish he'd catch her already because it's so boring.

Kikoushi Enma is a Japanese Saturday morning cartoon from the seventies remade to be darker and edgier by adding all sorts of "adult" content that couldn't have been shown in the original show. Too bad they forgot to make the story more mature instead of just child-unfriendly. Shock value doesn't make a good, engaging plot unnecessary, and I rather doubt our hero Enma was such an unlikable, sexually harassing jerk in the original version.

Shigurui

This one got me so angry. It's basically a total bait and switch. The first episode ends in a cliffhanger with two swordsmen about to fight each other to the death. Then next episode doesn't continue with that but instead goes to a flashback. The third episode continues with the flashback and the so does the fourth, all the way to the end. We never get out of the flashback. I kept watching the stupid story only to find out who won that one fight. I actually went to the (terrible) manga to find out who won in the end, but that fight is a total anticlimax, so I shouldn't have bothered.

Then there is all that excessive grimdark and the cast of unlikable characters. A representative example of what I mean is the scene where the evil dojo master orders the designated villain to rape the useless and annoying designated heroine, the dojo master's only daughter, while everyone watches. The designated hero, who is in love with the designated heroine, is among the crowd of watchers but does nothing. The designated villain saves the girl and angers the evil dojo master by bravely refusing to rape, but that does nothing to change who is the designated hero and who is the villain.

Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi

The premise is that the story is set in a post-apocalyptic world where people stopped being born and can't die when they are killed unless put to rest by this one loli and other gravekeepers like her. Unfortunately that one loli is highly annoying and too dumb to live, but we never get rid of her, our main character. The writing is terrible and the high animation budget is totally wasted. Pretty soon the story forgets even the remnants of its original premise and we're dealing with a surprisingly generic story about an annoying loli with an annoying voice going to school, with some supernatural elements.

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen

It's a shame that something as good as the original Rozen Maiden and the even better Rozen Maiden Träumend were followed by... this. It's not the same continuity though, which you can see in how the seventh doll isn't Barasuishou but the much inferior Kirakishou.

The animation in Zurückspulen really shines in the negative sense. A good example is Shinku's hair. The animators just took a line drawing of Shinku and colored her hair light yellow, no shading or anything. The resulting hair looks harsh and bad, not soft and something you'd like to touch. The rest of the animation is the same "quality", much worse than in the original Rozen Maiden even though that one is so much older. How can you make the pretty Rozen Maiden dolls look so ugly? The OP and ED also show much less artistry compared to how they were in the original.

The writing is so bad too. Basically, everything to do with dolls and alternate universes sucks. The least terrible part in the mess is the slice of life stuff, and I don't even like the slice of life genre. Shinku has somehow been turned unlikable. The dolls feature much less than you'd think, and most of that is dedicated to Shinku and Suigintou's sister rivalry. And Suigintou used to be such a cool villain...

The main plot is random and confusing. I can only imagine the lack of sense it would make for someone new to Rozen Maiden who wasn't familiar with the dolls. Also, the very end doesn't just contain a sequel hook. It is a sequel start for a sequel that will never come.

(And by the way, I thought Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was very good.)
Back to top Go down
Arcadia Rose

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Tue May 20, 2014 12:12 am

Space Dandy...so eye-numbingly bad it makes me want to punch a nun! Yes, he's a 'dandy'...a dandy what, though? It's irritating and my son LOVES it....bleh!!

As far as Attack on Titan goes, why does Eren have to yell all the time? Are we all deaf? If not, we will be...
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   Tue May 20, 2014 9:24 am

Arcadia Rose wrote:
Space Dandy...so eye-numbingly bad it makes me want to punch a nun! Yes, he's a 'dandy'...a dandy what, though? It's irritating and my son LOVES it....bleh!!

1dan·dy noun \ˈdan-dē\
: a man who cares too much about his clothing and personal appearance

: something that is very good or impressive : a very good example of something
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Bad Anime Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9