Why God, Why?


 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Quijotesca
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Howithurts wrote:
Not quite a badfic, so to speak, but how about those Maradonia chronicles? A well written version of those might be interesting.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] not that I can vouch for it since I can't get past all those fucking horizontal lines.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
avatar

Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Two words, guys: My Immortal.
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:35 pm

The fic: Full Life Consequences! (it had to be done! Wink )

The premise: John Freeman, Gordon Freeman's brother, joins his brother in the fight to free the world from the results of the catastrophic events at Black Mesa, but his journey takes an unexpected twist.

Old summary: John Freeman receives a random email from his brother telling him that "aliens and monsters are attacking his place", and immediately sets off to help him, meeting some totally random encounters along the way. During the struggle, Gordon is killed, and John Freeman replaces him as the "Free Man", and becomes a martyr, due to his ability to perform acrobatic stunts, and "shot" enemies despite having no "wepon". His son becomes the new world's President, and comissions a statue in John's honour, as the "Saver of Humens".

New summary: John Freeman, the previously unknown brother of the famous hero Gordon Freeman, finds a mysterious message indicating that his brother is alive, and needs his help. On the way, however, he finds the journey to heroism more difficult than he anticipated, and he is forced to deal with things he could never have imagined, and that could threaten to destroy him and his entire family completely.

First chapter here (put in Spoiler tabs due to its length) - I'm trying to stay true to the original story, and keep the original dialogue, as much as possible!

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
Miss Jennifer



Join date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:42 pm

The fic: Countless Draco/Hermione fics. (Sorry I don't have a specific one to settle on. This re-do is more for a premise than a particular fic.)

Old premise: Draco Malfoy suddenly forgets sixteen years or more of ingrained Muggle/Muggleborn prejudice to fall in True Love with Hermione. (I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would probably take a long soul-searching period, maybe even a time of dissociating himself from everything he'd known before as he gets his head together.)

New premise: Draco Malfoy develops an attraction to Hermione Granger...but suffers severe cognitive dissonance when his feelings slam up against his long-held and ingrained beliefs. He can't deal with the fact that he's actually interested in one of THEM, so he blames her for it (filthy Mudblood tramp, trying to tempt me like that! Well, what do you expect from HER kind?) and lashes out at her over it.

See: Goeth, Amon; Frollo, Claude.

Another premise redone:

Old premise: Modern-day girl/woman falls into Middle Earth and thinks it's just so awesome and ends up staying there and finding True Love with (usually) Legolas.

New premise: Modern-day young woman is somehow transported to Middle Earth...but although she is astounded by its beauty and magic, and befriends our heroes (though not to the point of interfering with the storyline--this would take place after the Ring quest), she still longs to return to the home she loves.

At one point, a character asks her, "But you say it's beautiful here...would it be so terrible if you could not return to your own place and time?"

She replies, "I have traveled to beautiful places in my lifetime, but no matter how much I enjoyed seeing these places, it was always a pleasure to return home again...Listen, in my culture, there is an old tale of a peasant girl swept away from her home by a great storm and carried to a land of magic and wonder. This place is beautiful and wondrous, and she makes many close friends there, but her one thought is to return home to the life she loves. Maybe my life back home is a little mundane compared to what I've found here, but it's still mine...the work I enjoy, the friends I've made, the life I've built for myself...and it would break my heart to turn my back on it forever."

(Like the "peasant girl" in the "old tale", she succeeds in the end.)
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2009-10-22
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:04 pm

So, are you a good witch, or a bad witch?
Back to top Go down
Miss Jennifer



Join date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Disco Stu wrote:
So, are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

I'll check with James Franco and get back to you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 am

The fic: My Immortal!

Old Premise: Ebony Darkness Dementia Ravenway, the most beautiful (and unlikeable) character in the world, falls in love with Draco Malfoy, and the whole world revolves around those two. Half of the cast turn into vampires for no reason whatsoever, Hot Topic opens a branch near Hogwarts, a few emo bands play regular gigs there, and for some reason, Ebony is required to go back in time and attempt to disuade Lord Voldermort from proceeding with his schemes.

New Premise: Ebony Darkness Dementia Ravenway, an incredibly selfish, unlikeable, deluded and mentally unstable prima donna of a girl, develops a crush on Draco Malfoy. At the same time develops a prejudice against anybody she considers a "prep". Somebody mentions vampires in a Magical Creatures lesson, and Ebony begins to wonder what Hogwarts would be like if she, and certain other characters, were vampires, and invents her own imaginary life. She becomes so obsessed with this imaginary life that she is no longer able to tell the difference between it and the real world, and most of the story is about what she wishes happened, while it is made clear that what really happened is very different. It might even switch between the two - her own, and Draco's, points of view telling a very different story.
Back to top Go down
spork
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 am

Severus Snape, Professor and Lover ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

premise: Severus Snape gets romantically involved with teletubbies.

Old Summary: Snape decides he's had enough of teaching at Hogwarts and resigns. Dumbledoor suggests
that he takes a train to a land far away, over the hills. Snape happily takes his advice and ends up
in the land of the Teletubbies. Once there, he decides to teach them in strange and erotic ways.

New Summary: Fred and George decide to pull a practical joke on Snape. They illegally smuggle magically
animated dolls into school and dress them up as teletubbies. The dolls are set up in a trap on the toilet
and when Snape takes a pee in the lunch break, the dolls jump on him, yelling their famous names. Snape
is utterly horrified and enraged and attacks them. The dolls manage to escape his wrath and run away below
the door. Snape follows them in blind rage, then is caught in the corridor beating on Teletubbies with his
pants down by professor McGonagall and a bunch of Griffindor students.
Three days later, staff has still not managed to find out who did it and Snape takes out his frustration on
Harry Potter by making him demonstrate the effect of a love potion, letting him passionately kiss a frog in
front of class.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Location : computer chair

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am

spork wrote:
Severus Snape, Professor and Lover ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

awesome idea

If you end up writing this, definitely post a link. I want to read this!
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
avatar

Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 am

Cunovendus wrote:
The fic: My Immortal!

Old Premise: Ebony Darkness Dementia Ravenway, the most beautiful (and unlikeable) character in the world, falls in love with Draco Malfoy, and the whole world revolves around those two. Half of the cast turn into vampires for no reason whatsoever, Hot Topic opens a branch near Hogwarts, a few emo bands play regular gigs there, and for some reason, Ebony is required to go back in time and attempt to disuade Lord Voldermort from proceeding with his schemes.

Ohhhh, so that's what it was about! I couldn't even get past the first few chapters before my brain started threatening to brick itself and leave me in a permanent coma.

Cunovendus wrote:

New Premise: Ebony Darkness Dementia Ravenway, an incredibly selfish, unlikeable, deluded and mentally unstable prima donna of a girl, develops a crush on Draco Malfoy. At the same time develops a prejudice against anybody she considers a "prep". Somebody mentions vampires in a Magical Creatures lesson, and Ebony begins to wonder what Hogwarts would be like if she, and certain other characters, were vampires, and invents her own imaginary life. She becomes so obsessed with this imaginary life that she is no longer able to tell the difference between it and the real world, and most of the story is about what she wishes happened, while it is made clear that what really happened is very different. It might even switch between the two - her own, and Draco's, points of view telling a very different story.

Please make this fic happen.
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 am

xerrofoot wrote:

Ohhhh, so that's what it was about! I couldn't even get past the first few chapters before my brain started threatening to brick itself and leave me in a permanent coma.

I listened to Manwithoutabody's reading...there's simply no way I could read through the whole thing. He manages to make it not only bearable, but entertaining!
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm

xerrofoot wrote:

Please make this fic happen.

Okay, I'll have a go:

Spoiler:
 

I couldn't resist it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-10
Age : 49
Location : very, very close to Chris

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Love it! You should post it to the Pit and see what kind of reaction you get.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
avatar

Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Cunovendus wrote:
xerrofoot wrote:

Please make this fic happen.

Okay, I'll have a go:

*excerpt*

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kakashifan727
Sporkbender
Sporkbender


Join date : 2012-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Do it. I want to see what people think.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
avatar

Join date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:33 pm

T-that was a masterpiece! *throws roses*
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2013-05-05
Location : Where the lonely people come from

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri May 31, 2013 11:21 am

I'll have a stab. Text block ahoy!

The Misery Senshi Neo-Zero Double Blitzkrieg Debacle!!!

Premise:

Daria joins the Sailor Senshi. Hi-laaaarious antics ensue.

What happens:

If you can get past the massive "I do not own" disclaimer, including mentioning an encyclopedia of airplane parts, then you will find the crossroads between madness and boredom. Behold! Japanese Neo-Nazis with insane amounts of resources from nowhere! Random crossovers, including a Beavis and Butthead who are now evil rapists instead of listless losers! A blistering black hole that the author thinks passes for comedy! Disturbing fixation on breasts! Three different terrorist organizations, including the Islamic Jihad, most of them stupid! And, worst of all, three OCs with endless backstories, which are told entirely in monologues with LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!! The Dark Kingdom isn't even fucking mentioned.

If it didn't suck:

Japan is facing a threat greater than it ever has before. A new foe from the Dark Kingdom has arisen, stronger and more powerful than any other! Unfortunately, Ami is off in Germany studying to be a doctor...so any random teenage girl off the street will do just fine, including Daria, who out of coincedence is there at the time (school trip). Congratulations Daria, you're the new Sailor Mercury! We get to see a meeting between Brittany and Usagi, and we get an interlude to see the latest Sick Sad World (something ridiculous, no doubt)! Everybody wins!
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
avatar

Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Sounds like something worth reading.
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2013-05-05
Location : Where the lonely people come from

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Are we ever going to get another challenge started? We cannot allow WGW to stagnate.
Back to top Go down
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender


Join date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 am

Given my fandoms, it's either legolas by laura or Celebrian, both of which have been mentioned before and are really very terrible. Oh well... So I picked up legolas by laura. It's easy to make that one much less terrible, though quite another to make it good.

Old title: Legolas
New title: Laurel's Call

Premise: The plot of the Lord of the Rings is shifted irrevocably when Legolas finds a baby girl in a basket in the woods and takes her home where she becomes his adopted sister. Later the girl is kidnapped by Sauron's forces, and Sauron tries to break her will. He fails, and space not working like it should brings about his doom. Legolas becomes his adopted sister's boyfriend.

Old summary: Legolas finds a baby human in "Milkwood" and names her Laura. She grows up as his adopted sister. Canon characters make pointless cameos. Orcs kidnap Laura and take her to "Mondor" and do bad things to her. Legolas rescues her and Sauron gets defeated because apparently teleportation is now possible in Middle-earth and Gandalf can do it. Legolas becomes Laura's boyfriend and neither them apparently thinks anything about it. Then the fic ends mid-sentence.

New summary: Legolas, patrolling on the edge of the elf territory in Mirkwood, finds the corpse of a woman, recently dead from poison that had come with an orc arrow. Next to the woman Legolas finds a basket lined with laurel, a plant to ward from evil influence, and within the branches a baby girl. Thranduil ends up adopting the girl, and as she grows up, it becomes increasingly apparent that that she isn't human, though she isn't an elf either. The elves of Mirkwood grow disconcerted by her, but girl, who has been named Laurel (I think you could call that something like "crown leaf" in Elvish, as I know those nouns exist), shows no hint of evil. On the other hand, perhaps a great and subtle evil might be able to disguise itself? She becomes a quiet and secretive girl.

One night Laurel feels a strange calling and using her ability to shift between places goes out, curious. A winged Nazgûl comes for her and despite her struggles takes her to Mordor. It turns out that she can't use her powers to escape when she's chained or physically held by another person.

Legolas dreams of Laurel, and sets on a desperate pursuit to rescue her. During the trip he seems to make progress unnaturally fast, and sometimes the scenery becomes ghostly around him. Laurel is calling him to her, and her powers are being spurred to new heights by desperation. Legolas finds himself somehow having sneaked into Barad-dûr. He frees Laurel, and when Sauron himself arrives, she uses her fury and shifts him into a ghostly dimension where he can watch but not intervene.

Laurel wants for Legolas to become her fiancé, and even though the Elven tradition forbids such unions and he sees her as a sister, Legolas doesn't dare to refuse, fearing the change that has come over her. It turns out she was the daughter of Sauron and a strange creature from beneath the roots of the mountains, the sort that Sauron wasn't supposed to know according to Gandalf but turned out to know after all. Sauron didn't create Laurel out of love or lust but as a genetic experiment expected to have unusual powers. Did they just replace the Dark Lord with a Dark Lady? Is Sauron really gone for good? And what about Laurel's mother's kind, now that they know there is an upper world?

------

Laurel is still pretty Sueish in this and most definitely overpowered. But well, if Sauron is going to get defeated in this fic Legolas isn't going to do it, and bringing in Gandalf and the hobbits from the left field would require a reason that makes at least a little bit of sense. And if Sauron isn't going to get defeated, the plot should probably avoid the likes of Mordor and Dor Guldûr altogether, at which point things start getting too far from the original. Well, maybe that approach could work if everything was toned down to a small scale with small stakes and Laura was only abducted by some random Orcs because she was at the wrong place at the wrong time, but that approach would be likely to result in a bland fic in which Laura was still Sueish, just in a passive way.

But as I wrote it, I suppose the story should just play up the eldritch abomination factor. It's okay if eldritch abominations are overpowered. They are supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:16 am

That's an interesting take on the story! It also makes sense, given that, in the original, the orcs capture her for no apparent reason, other than her alleged power (which begs the question: why not kill her, rather than torture and rape her?).

Also, I don't think making a character excessively powerful is, in itself, an automatic Suification. It's more about how the power is used, how the character handles it, how others around her are affected, and (most importantly) how it impacts the original plot of the fandom itself.
Back to top Go down
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender


Join date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:57 am

Cunovendus wrote:
That's an interesting take on the story! It also makes sense, given that, in the original, the orcs capture her for no apparent reason, other than her alleged power (which begs the question: why not kill her, rather than torture and rape her?).

Also, I don't think making a character excessively powerful is, in itself, an automatic Suification. It's more about how the power is used, how the character handles it, how others around her are affected, and (most importantly) how it impacts the original plot of the fandom itself.
The original plot of The Lord of the Rings is all about the nigh-impossible task of defeating Sauron. Laurel in my scenario defeats Sauron just like that. Even if Frodo & co. are somewhere with the One Ring, they were just upstaged forever by some OC.

And that's bad. I couldn't think of anything better, though. Maybe Laurel could work as a villain and the reason she went to Rivendell with Legolas in the end was to attempt to acquire the One Ring for herself. Villains are always allowed more leeway in power level. Then it would be up to the canon characters to defeat Laurel and Legolas and the remnants of Mordor's strength and whatever other threats might emerge.
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
avatar

Join date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Hmm...could it be modified so that she doesn't actually permanently defeat him, but just inconveniences him in some way?

Since the story only really concerns Legolas, it makes less sense to spirit him away from the Fellowship to do something seemingly unrelated, so I'm thinking it'd work as a pre-War of the Ring story that could be a part of the events in which Sauron rose to power, but maybe by rescuing her, Legolas either created a new villain, or inadvertently helped Sauron, or something...

Anyway, the idea that Laura/Laurel is actually evil but doesn't know it yet is definitely an interesting take on the story (and probably not the one Laura intended! ).
Back to top Go down
nikore.robinson



Join date : 2013-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:46 pm

sry for necro

IDK about ye all, but how about some of Mykan's fics? I have wrtten a little original fic about The Seven Dragons/avatars beating up Mykan and his crew into submission (or in Starla and Krysta's case, magpies)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!   

Back to top Go down
 
Challenge: take a well-known badfic and re-work its premise into something good!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» November 123 Challenge is....
» January 2011 123 Challenge...
» Ch 3: Vicki's Colour Pallette Challenge!!
» Challenge 2: Recipe Scrap!
» Challenge 4: Mandy's Challenge

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: New Releases-
Jump to: